You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Strange Issues With this Macbook greatly detailed

Okay first this is the specs.

Version 10.7.5

It is an early 2011 15" model Macbook Pro

2 GHz Intel Core i7

Intel HD Graphics 3000 348 MB

Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63)

The issues I am having I do believe to be mostly all connected to time and date however I will go over each issue and the error I am getting. But first some backround. My friend at work gave me this laptop like 2 years ago because he said the hard drive crapped out on him and he lost the power cord. I told him id take it if he didnt want it anymore and so he gave it to me. It sat on a shelf for nearly 2 years until I am about to go back to school and figured Id use it for school. I bought a 1TB SSD and put it in. I then rebooted the laptop and reinstalled Mac OS after configuring the new SSD first of course.

The issues I am having now....

I go to system preferences/users & groups. Where it says Apple ID: Set I click set

it asks me for my current password (laptop password) then asks for my Apple ID and Password (Apple Password) I type my info in (yes my info is correct I am able to get onto all other devices of mine.)

The error says "The operation couldn't be completed. (CSIdentityErrorDomain error -100.)

I think it is worth noting I am logged into iCloud on the laptop.

The next issue persisting is when I try to go into Time and Date and set my time zone to automatically locate me, it says "Unable to determine current location at this time."

When I click safari i get a "Safari Can't verify the identity of the website www.apple.com" window that pops up and I am asked to show certificates, cancel, or continue. If I hit continue the website loads in but its not 100% right.

Furthermore when I attempt to go anywhere lets say for example walmart.com on safari it does not load and instead gives me a message "Safari can't open the page "http://www.walmart.com/" because Safari can't establish a secure connection to the server "www.walmart.com".

Last but certainty not least I am unable to connect to the App Store giving just a message that says "Unable to connect to the App Store" when I try to click sign in, nothing happens, when I click create an account it just loads to no avail.

I have an internet connection, its stable, and tested, wifi is turned on as well. I have been at this now for over 12 hours and the frustration level is growing intense. I just want to get the app store up and going, log in on my apple ID so I can attach the device to my apple ID, and be able to freely roam the internet. I really feel that almost all of these issues are stemming from some issue with my time and date even though they are all set correctly. When I had managed to download Chrome at one point id get an error that my time and date are set incorrectly even though they displayed correct. Any ideas would be a great help. Sorry I have no screenshots as I have no way to get them from my Mac to my PC I am using in this forum.

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 8:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 19, 2021 9:53 AM

Oh, that version is now too old to make a reliable encrypted connection on the Internet. That would explain a LOT of your other issues.

You need to upgrade to a later version. I recommend MacOS 10.11 El Capitan, as it is well-behaved and uses the modern Mac App Store. It is a good waypoint if you wish to upgrade further. Links are in this article:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

15 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 19, 2021 9:53 AM in response to Miken1c3

Oh, that version is now too old to make a reliable encrypted connection on the Internet. That would explain a LOT of your other issues.

You need to upgrade to a later version. I recommend MacOS 10.11 El Capitan, as it is well-behaved and uses the modern Mac App Store. It is a good waypoint if you wish to upgrade further. Links are in this article:

How to get old versions of macOS - Apple Support

Dec 19, 2021 9:03 AM in response to Miken1c3

FIRST and foremost. If you or the previous owner did not clear that mac and reinstall the factory MacOS, it is still tied to the Apple-ID of the previous owner, and you will not be able to update it or use it properly. Any odd behavior around Apple-ID is to be expected.

What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - Apple Support

Dec 19, 2021 9:12 AM in response to Miken1c3

<< I go to system preferences/users & groups. Where it says Apple ID: Set I click set

it asks me for my current password (laptop password) then asks for my Apple ID and Password (Apple Password) I type my info in (yes my info is correct I am able to get onto all other devices of mine.)

The error says "The operation couldn't be completed. (CSIdentityErrorDomain error -100.) >>

Specifying your Apple-ID is not part of Users&Groups. It is generally done in the iCloud pane. Is that the one you are using?

Strange Issues With this Macbook greatly detailed

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.