You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud.com forcing password change even though current password is Strong

When I tried to access iCloud.com from my MacBook Pro, after successfully completing the 2-factor authentication, the website tried to force me to "choose a stronger password", even though my current password definitely meets the strong password criteria already. The only screen choices are to change password or "Cancel".  Hitting Cancel throws you back to login, which repeats the loop.  There is no option to decline to change your password.  I have never had a problem with my Apple ID password before.  I don't want to change it.  It meets the strength criteria, so why is this happening? I seldom log in to the iCloud.com website; It has probably been over a year since the last time I did so.  I was logging in from my home wifi network, on my personal MacBook (15-inch, mid-2012, running Mojave 10.14.6) which is the computer I always use.  For now, I've just abandoned logging in to the iCloud.com website rather than change my password. I'm not tech-savvy and I fear losing functionality on other apps/devices at a very inconvenient time, because I've read about this happening to other people when they changed their Apple ID password. Seems it can cause a big hassle if you don't know how to update everything you're supposed to-- which I don't! It is interesting that my current Apple ID password worked just fine to log in to Apple Communities. Has anybody out there experienced this problem with the iCloud.com website trying to force you to change a perfectly strong password that meets the stated criteria? Were you able to get around this and keep your current password? Or did you have to change it in order to access iCloud.com?

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Dec 20, 2021 8:47 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 21, 2021 2:58 PM

Hello petitedancer,

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Communities. We understand that when trying to sign in to the iCloud website you're being prompted to change your password with no option to skip the process. Does the same thing happen when visiting the Apple ID website here: Manage your Apple ID

If not, clear Safari history to see if that helps: Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you do decide to change your Apple ID password, here are the steps you'll want to take after to ensure your data and devices all sync as expected: What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

If the same behavior happens when visiting the Apple ID website we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support to discuss this with them more: Get Support

Thanks again, and take care.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 21, 2021 2:58 PM in response to petitedancer

Hello petitedancer,

Thanks for participating in Apple Support Communities. We understand that when trying to sign in to the iCloud website you're being prompted to change your password with no option to skip the process. Does the same thing happen when visiting the Apple ID website here: Manage your Apple ID

If not, clear Safari history to see if that helps: Clear the history and cookies from Safari on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If you do decide to change your Apple ID password, here are the steps you'll want to take after to ensure your data and devices all sync as expected: What to do after you change your Apple ID or password

If the same behavior happens when visiting the Apple ID website we'd recommend reaching out to Apple Support to discuss this with them more: Get Support

Thanks again, and take care.

iCloud.com forcing password change even though current password is Strong

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.