You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a way to have notifications stay on lock screen like iOS 14 and before?

With iOS 15 I don’t want to use focus at all I want my notifications to all come immediately and all the time. Most of all I also want my Lock Screen to show my notifications and keep them on the lockscreen until I clear them or unlock it to view that app which clears them so when I go tap my phone and look at it on my desk after a few hours of being out of my office I want to see if I have text messages. Right now it will be blank but the notifications are just hiding or disappearing. Can I change this? It’s awful.

iPhone X

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 7:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 9:18 AM

Yes. Thank you. I realized that I have to swipe to see them again. It’s just really unhelpful to not see messages notifications on the Lock Screen after say an hour anymore and think there aren’t any then swipe to find there are or not every time. It seems to defeat the purpose of the lockscreen showing notifications anymore. I feel like it’s not accurate or useful this way with it going away after a time.

Everything I read says important and immediate notifications will always be delivered and stay on the lockscreen but that has not been my experience this past week since I updated. I picked up my phone after having been in a meeting for a few hours and didn’t see any message notifications but when I unlocked it I had messages from five or six different people that had been new and come while I was in the meeting. They did not show on my lockscreen and had I not checked I may have missed important information or communication. It’s just a disappointing change to the way things are working. I don’t know why someone would want so much less “interruptions” as the new iOS suggests it offers. It’s a phone for communication and alerts to get information as you need it not to ignore it.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 22, 2021 9:18 AM in response to ChrisJ4203

Yes. Thank you. I realized that I have to swipe to see them again. It’s just really unhelpful to not see messages notifications on the Lock Screen after say an hour anymore and think there aren’t any then swipe to find there are or not every time. It seems to defeat the purpose of the lockscreen showing notifications anymore. I feel like it’s not accurate or useful this way with it going away after a time.

Everything I read says important and immediate notifications will always be delivered and stay on the lockscreen but that has not been my experience this past week since I updated. I picked up my phone after having been in a meeting for a few hours and didn’t see any message notifications but when I unlocked it I had messages from five or six different people that had been new and come while I was in the meeting. They did not show on my lockscreen and had I not checked I may have missed important information or communication. It’s just a disappointing change to the way things are working. I don’t know why someone would want so much less “interruptions” as the new iOS suggests it offers. It’s a phone for communication and alerts to get information as you need it not to ignore it.

Dec 22, 2021 7:57 AM in response to Rayne7drs7

After opening the screen, notifications will disappear from the lock screen, but have you tried swiping down the notification screen to view what you have not opened in the particular app? You can set the notification to be persistent, but I'm afraid that setting requires you to open the particular app to acknowledge the notification before you can move forward.

Dec 22, 2021 10:00 AM in response to LD150

For iMessage? I don’t think so. Even I was surprised that’s why I started looking online. I’m very tech savvy and I am extremely adept at adapting and tweaking my settings for everything to make things work a certain way or get around changes when they happen if possible. Have someone message you and don’t touch your phone and don’t wear your iwatch for three hours and you won’t see the notification waiting on your phone with just a tap To wake it up without swiping to look for it.

Dec 22, 2021 2:34 PM in response to Rayne7drs7

After reading all the responses so far, if you have your Apple Watch on and the iPhone is locked, then notifications for iMessage are going to the Watch, not the phone. Although, as you found, you will find the notification on the Notification screen. The initial notifications would go to your Watch. And if you ignore them, to see them you need to swipe down the screen.

Is there a way to have notifications stay on lock screen like iOS 14 and before?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.