You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photo question

If I turn off iCloud sync for my photos and delete them from my iPhone the next time I log into my iCloud my photos will be deleted from the Cloud as well, CORRECT? How do you save space on the phone without losing your photos?

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 15

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 9:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 9:06 AM

If you turn off iCloud photos on your phone, then delete, the items will remain in iCloud. but nothing new will sync The next time you enable iCloud photos, all your cloud photos will download again.

You can optimize storage (Settings > Photos) which will significantly reduce the size of your library (eg. My library is 160GB on my Mac and around 11 GB on my iPhone) by keeping originals in iCloud and optimized photos on your device.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 22, 2021 9:06 AM in response to mislissa68

If you turn off iCloud photos on your phone, then delete, the items will remain in iCloud. but nothing new will sync The next time you enable iCloud photos, all your cloud photos will download again.

You can optimize storage (Settings > Photos) which will significantly reduce the size of your library (eg. My library is 160GB on my Mac and around 11 GB on my iPhone) by keeping originals in iCloud and optimized photos on your device.

Photo question

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.