You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac slow to respond on mouse clicks and typing. All programs.

My iMac will randomly freeze, or respond very slowly, to mouse clicks and typing. I get "page unresponsive" often in Chrome, though this is not a Chrome problem since the pasuses happen in every program. The activity monitor shows both low processor and RAM usage. I've reset VRAM, cleared system caches, and uninstalled software. Any ideas?

2017 27" iMac

OS 11.6.1

3.8GHz quad-core Intel i5

8GB 200Mhz RAM

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 11:04 AM

7 replies

Dec 22, 2021 11:43 AM in response to Willy Beemish

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful App to diagnose and identify issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Navigate to: https://etrecheck.com and get the free version of EtreCheckPro.
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app. It is often recommended here on Apple Support Communities. 
  3. Open EtreCheck, and before running the report, be sure to check “Allow full Drive Access” at the bottom of the EtreCheckPro window.
  4. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211. We will then examine the report for issues in your Mac.

Jack

Dec 23, 2021 12:50 PM in response to Willy Beemish

Your Mac has not been backed up in 5 months. Make sure you get your backup going again!

It appears you may have excess volumes on your internal drives. Please go to Disk Utility (Finder > Go > Utilities), and select "View" > "Show All Devices". Select each device (or entry shown), and take a screenshot of it and upload them all here.

Other than that, I do not see anything wrong. Please use DriveDx to check the heath of your Fusion Drive and upload the two reports.

Jack

iMac slow to respond on mouse clicks and typing. All programs.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.