You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

So I recently purchased a MacBook Air 2011 trying to restore it well when I first got it, how do I completely factory reset without my password becaue I can’t get logged back in? If you can’t do that how can I get my drive back to normal and running?

How can I factory reset my MacBook Air 2011! So I can completely start over in setting it up, I just bought it and set it up wrong and my password isn’t working and I need to completely reset it! Or maybe use disk utilities to help me some how? Can anyone please help

Posted on Dec 22, 2021 11:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2021 2:51 AM

Before wiping the drive to setup as new again try the below to Reset the Computer Password. If below work - no need to wipe the drive.

Otherwise - What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - it will be like setting up as new

Intel Computer

1 - Restart computer and immediately hold Command + r keys

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 23, 2021 2:51 AM in response to Joshua_stokes

Before wiping the drive to setup as new again try the below to Reset the Computer Password. If below work - no need to wipe the drive.

Otherwise - What to do before you sell, give away, or trade in your Mac - it will be like setting up as new

Intel Computer

1 - Restart computer and immediately hold Command + r keys

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

So I recently purchased a MacBook Air 2011 trying to restore it well when I first got it, how do I completely factory reset without my password becaue I can’t get logged back in? If you can’t do that how can I get my drive back to normal and running?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.