You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can information or descriptions or titles be added to/shown for photos in shared albums

Can information or descriptions or titles be added to or shown on photos in shared albums?

Posted on Dec 24, 2021 8:15 PM

6 replies

Dec 25, 2021 2:09 AM in response to cparise

A few years ago Google Photos was the best free or even commercial solution I found for my noncommercial photo publishing needs which should support: searchable captions and keywords, dates, location maps, subscribed user comments, an alert to subscribed users when new images are added to the shared album, admin rights to selected users, no sign-in needed for anonymous users, downloadable original quality media for any user, cross-platform web browsers and mobile apps.

Then I also tried Dropbox, Apple and Microsoft cloud, Picasa, Flickr and SmugMug. But I am not perfectly happy with Google Photos either:

Pros:

+ Other users can subscribe to the shared album and receive notifications when it is updated. Also non-subscribed users can view the album via an URL. Subscribed users can optionally comment or "like" individual photos. Trusted users can granted admin rights to the album (I have not tried how well this works in practice).

+ The albums can be viewed via a computer web browser or a mobile app (works fine in iOS).

+ Users can view the albums as web pages with multiple photos automatically neatly arranged on one page, clicking an image zooms into individual image mode with an optional neat sidebar showing the scrollable Description/Caption text (like Preview.app and GraphicConverter it defaults to XMP-dc:Description over IPTC:Caption-Abstract), EXIF date and time, image name, resolution, size, and location map (clicking the map in Google Photos opens a more detailed Google Maps in another page. It would be nice to have an option to just zoom into smaller map with satellite view and keep that zoom factor and view).

+ The photos can be stored in original quality (within Google account limits) with all metadata.

+ Subscribed and nonsubscribed users can download individual images or the whole zipped album with original quality images (with a largish 1300 image 3 GB album the whole album download does not currently work, howevere).

Google Photos has some major drawbacks:

- Low-resolution images are not automatically zoomed to fit the window. It is possible to manually zoom in with cmd/ctrl + but then other GUI elements get too large. And the user might not know this zoom shortcut.

- Captions are automatically imported and neatly displayed but linebreaks are ignored and moderately long Captions are clipped, so linebreaks must be clumsily re-edited or whole Captions pasted back.

- It is not possible to view Keywords.

- Captions, dates and locations can be edited in Google Photos, but the edited metadata does not download with the images! This is why I must clumsily maintain the album in GraphicConverter and periodically remove and re-send some or all images to Google Photos so other users can download the images with updated metadata (I must then also remember to re-paste long Captions or edit the linebreaks back)! "Google Takeout" with json files and exiftool would be a workaround but my audience would not use it:

https://takeout.google.com/

https://exiftool.org/forum/index.php?topic=11064.0

- jpg EXIF dates older than 1902 are displayed incorrectly so images older than that need clumsy workarounds (eventhough EXIF spec supports them). Even in newer dates sometimes incorrect date fields are used for sorting and display instead using correct EXIF dates. Sometimes time is displayed and sorted as 0.00 unless metadata is rebuilt and images re-imported.

Movie dates need extra effort for pre 1970 and pre 1921 dates, dates older than 1902 are flaky. Movie Captions are not automatically imported and must be separately pasted.

- I miss an option to share non-image files inside the shared album. As a workaround I have an image with a Caption text URL pointing to a Dropbox .xls file.

- The worst: It is not possible to search Captions or Keywords! Can you believe there is a Google product that can't search!! Search is only possible at the Google Photos main window, not inside albums. To do a Caption or Keyword search (I don't know if it searches both) users have to add the album to their own photos and do the search there, or download and open the album in other apps like GC. This is a great pity because I have an album with dozens of carefully picked Keywords per image. Currently other users don't have an easy access to filter those 1000 images via Keyword searches.

Here is an example of a Google Photos album:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/B8FoHCDkTyfZ8j4p8

I briefly tried Dropbox, Flickr and Photos.app web sharing but they didn’t fit those requirements at all. Here is an example of a Flickr album when I tested them:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/144002348@N07/357h30

Dec 25, 2021 3:42 AM in response to cparise

There are a few improvements for shared albums on macOS Monterey.

When I share a photo one at a time to a shared album and the photo has a caption, the caption will automatically appear as a comment in the shared album. Previously we had to add the moment individually when sharing a photo. The info for the shared photo is showing now the original filename, the capture date, and the location. The title and the keywords are missing however, and the photo are still scaled down to 2048 pixel at the longest edge.

Can information or descriptions or titles be added to/shown for photos in shared albums

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.