You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Recording 16:9

I can’t seem to find the option to change the aspect ratio for taking videos and pictures. Was the feature removed? I have a friend with the exact same ipad model as me and she is able to video in 16:9 but I am stuck on 4:3.

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 2:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 9:53 PM

I have it fixed now, simply by double tapping the display when videoing changes the aspect ratio from 4:3 to 16:9. And no, it does not just crop the 4:3 video to 16:9 it actually zooms out to 16:9.

5 replies

Dec 25, 2021 7:26 AM in response to MushroomKris

There is no option to change the aspect ratio of an iPad camera to record in 16:9 aspect ratio. The iPad has always recorded photos and videos in the aspect ratio of 4:3. You can edit the photos in the photos app or videos in the iMovie app and crop them to the 16:9 ratio. There may be third party apps that will allow you to record in 16:9 aspect ratio on your iPad however those are still actually recorded in the iPad’s natural 4:3 aspect ratio with the top and bottom cropped out (blacked out).

Ask your friend about which app she may be using to either directly record in 16:9 aspect ratio or editing an already recorded video in 4:3 aspect ratio.

Axel F.

Jan 4, 2022 2:31 AM in response to MushroomKris

You may also be interested to learn that the 2021 models of iPad and iPad Pro, that feature Centre Stage, have another trick when recording video with the front facing camera…

Not only can you change between 4:3 and 16:9 video aspect ratio by tapping the screen (which is, in fact, a digital crop), tapping the icon at the left edge of the screen (two diagonal arrowheads), you can switch between wide-angle and face-tracking Centre Stage.

iPad Recording 16:9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.