You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

open links from app in tabs Safari

Hi,

I'm on macOS Monterey on a MacBook Pro 2021. My issue is the following: when clicking a link in, for example, Mail or Twitter it opens a new Safari window instead of a tab. Furthermore the separate Safari window opens as a half screen instead of full screen, and the lower half of the screen at that. It only does this when Safari is already open. When Safari has been quit it opens links in a tab.

As I have almost always an open window of Safari it irritates the **** out of me. Is there a setting/workaround to have external links always open in tabs?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 4:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 25, 2021 7:19 AM

Hi yingfuli,

In Safari > Preferences > Tabs do you have these settings?

3 replies

Dec 26, 2021 2:12 PM in response to TrafGib

I solved it, yeah! The problem is that when you have a tab group in Safari a link from a external app will either open in a half window when Safari is open, or as a separate Safari window when Safari is turned off. When I remove the tab group(s) a link from a external app will open in a tab, regardless of wether Safari is open or not.

I do believe that Apple should fix this. Now I either have to accept links not opening in the active Safari window when in a tab group, or dispense with the tab groups so a link will open as a tab in a existing Safari window.

open links from app in tabs Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.