You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sold MacBook Showing on “Find My” App

As the title says I can see the sold MacBook from months ago on the Find My app. I only realised this because I switched back to an iPhone recently.

I believe I followed the correct process from the Apple website on what to do before selling the MacBook. I signed out of iCloud, reformatted (a couple of times actually), reset NVRAM, etc. I have also changed my Apple ID password and logged out of all devices.

I may have forgot to turn off Find My Mac, but this is a maybe. Either way the new owner clearly never signed into their own iCloud account on the MacBook.

Each time I remove the device it comes back a little while later on my list. Probably because the MacBook goes online again.

What can I do here? Can the new owner have access to my iCloud (I doubt they can)?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 1:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 26, 2021 1:23 PM

I did that. But it appears on my list again after a while. It says before I remove the device, when the device is online again it will be back on my device list.

As I didn’t turn off Find My Mac on the old device, the new owner needs to sign into their iCloud account and turn on Find My Mac so their iCloud is associated with that MacBook and not my iCloud anymore.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 26, 2021 1:23 PM in response to Smilin-Brian

I did that. But it appears on my list again after a while. It says before I remove the device, when the device is online again it will be back on my device list.

As I didn’t turn off Find My Mac on the old device, the new owner needs to sign into their iCloud account and turn on Find My Mac so their iCloud is associated with that MacBook and not my iCloud anymore.

Sold MacBook Showing on “Find My” App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.