You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to inspect iPhone for malicious Software/virus

My bank has advised me to have my iPhone XR inspected for malicious software following receipt of a fraudulent text message. I clicked the link in the text message; received a "fraudulent website" warning in the browser. Immediately closed the browser and called the bank.

How do I inspect my iPhone XR to see if there has been anything installed in my phone? Do I need to take it to an Apple Store or can I do this myself?

Thank you

iPhone XR, iOS 14

Posted on Dec 27, 2021 6:00 PM

5 replies

Dec 27, 2021 6:06 PM in response to 2022Questions

If you have not jailbroken your phone there is no malicious software or virus on your iPhone. For all practical purposes iPhones are very well protected by Apple; there are currently no identified vulnerabilities, as long as you keep your phone updated. If you saw the “fraudulent website” message that means that iOS protected you; no further action is required.

If you really have iOS 14 you should update to the current iOS 15.2, as it resolves some earlier vulnerabilities. If you have 14.8 your protection is almost as good, but 15.2 fixes all currently known issues.

How to inspect iPhone for malicious Software/virus

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.