You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recovery of deleted Message conversation on Ipad

How do I recover deleted Message conversation on IPad?

iPad Pro, iPadOS 15

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 8:44 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Dec 29, 2021 5:16 PM

Messages do not get backed up in iCloud if you have iCloud Messages turned on. That stores them in iCloud so they can be synced across all of your devices. Once you delete a message from a device, it deletes it everywhere. I'm sorry that you misunderstood my post, but it is stated that way for a reason. Storing them in iCloud prevents you from having to backup messages. It is a little convoluted, but they are stored in iCloud and once you delete them, they are gone. If you are more concerned about protecting them from you deleting them, then you need to turn off iCloud messages and just leave them on the devices. Then when you create a backup of your device, the messages will be there until your next backup after you delete something. Once you do a backup after the message has been deleted, then the backup will not contain the message either. That is why the last sentence in my response says you can restore, so long as you have not made a backup since the message was deleted.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Dec 29, 2021 5:16 PM in response to Karenlebon

Messages do not get backed up in iCloud if you have iCloud Messages turned on. That stores them in iCloud so they can be synced across all of your devices. Once you delete a message from a device, it deletes it everywhere. I'm sorry that you misunderstood my post, but it is stated that way for a reason. Storing them in iCloud prevents you from having to backup messages. It is a little convoluted, but they are stored in iCloud and once you delete them, they are gone. If you are more concerned about protecting them from you deleting them, then you need to turn off iCloud messages and just leave them on the devices. Then when you create a backup of your device, the messages will be there until your next backup after you delete something. Once you do a backup after the message has been deleted, then the backup will not contain the message either. That is why the last sentence in my response says you can restore, so long as you have not made a backup since the message was deleted.

Dec 29, 2021 8:50 AM in response to Karenlebon

If Messages in iCloud is enabled, the messages cannot be retrieved. If you're unsure if this feature is turned on, here's how to check: Use Messages in iCloud. If Messages in iCloud isn't turned on, and you have a backup that contains the messages, they can be restored with these steps: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup. Keep in mind, any data that has been put onto your iPhone after the backup was created will be lost. If you have made a backup of the iPhone since you deleted the message, you will not be able to retrieve it either.

Recovery of deleted Message conversation on Ipad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.