You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Buying a second hand iphone 13 promax

What to do if iphone 13 promax gift is sold to you and registered under the giver’s name?

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 5:00 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 5:25 PM

Hello,

I'm a little confused by the "giver" and "sold" situation but this article has some relevant info in the "Check for Activation Lock before you buy a device from someone else" section. Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

"If you're asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner isn't present, contact them as soon as possible and ask them to use a browser to remove the device from their account. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account."

If if Activation Lock was turned on and you cannot contact the person who the device is registered to, you will not be able to erase or use the device as your own. If you do not know the seller you may have purchased a stolen iPhone and should contact your local police to report the situation.

I am sorry you are in this situation and hope this is helpful in some way.

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 1, 2022 5:25 PM in response to Justmakingsure2022

Hello,

I'm a little confused by the "giver" and "sold" situation but this article has some relevant info in the "Check for Activation Lock before you buy a device from someone else" section. Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

"If you're asked for the previous owner’s Apple ID and password, the device is still linked to their account. Hand the device back to the seller and ask them to enter their password. If the previous owner isn't present, contact them as soon as possible and ask them to use a browser to remove the device from their account. Don't take ownership of any used iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch until it has been removed from the previous owner’s account."

If if Activation Lock was turned on and you cannot contact the person who the device is registered to, you will not be able to erase or use the device as your own. If you do not know the seller you may have purchased a stolen iPhone and should contact your local police to report the situation.

I am sorry you are in this situation and hope this is helpful in some way.

Jan 5, 2022 3:59 AM in response to y_p_w

It is actually not yet in my hands now. My friend is planning to sell to me her new phone which was given to her as a gift. The name under registration is the one who bought it for her. I am just concerned that if she sells to me, the person who bought it for her can do something to get it locked or what. Although apple id and password or pass code will be given my friend who uses it now.

Jan 5, 2022 10:20 AM in response to Justmakingsure2022

Just to be the full-on cynic here, sorry ...

Another poster (who did not work through friends, so may not be the same) met the seller at a carrier store, saw the device activate through carrier AND AppleID ... basically did the right thing. ONLY 1 week later did the rightful owner "blacklist" the phone against any use.

I hope this is not what you will encounter.

Buying a second hand iphone 13 promax

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.