You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Full Keyboard Access adds serious spacebar issues since at least iOS 13

Using iPad Air 3, latest iOS 15.2, and Apple Smart Keyboard for this iPad.

When Full Keyboard Access is ON, you no longer can type spaces in Numbers and Pages, instead, the Spacebar moves the focus around the screen. Same behavior in Safari. While you can go in and disable the space bar in various Command key settings, the minute you do that, the Spacebar no longer works to start and stop videos and its basic features are gone that normally work great without Full Keyboard Access.

Has anyone found a solution? If not, please join me in sending Feedback to Apple to fix this crazy problem!! Most of the Full Keyboard Access shortcuts are very practical and useful. However, the Spacebar issues are so severe I can’t use Full Keyboard Access and I wonder how anyone else can use it?

iPad Air 3, iPadOS 15

Posted on Jan 1, 2022 10:37 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 10:29 AM

You simply need to redefine (i.e., Clear) the spacebar action that is defined in the Full Keyboard Access settings:

Settings > Accessibility > Keyboards > Full Keyboard Access > Commands

Find the action that is currently assigned to the Space key, tap, and select Clear from the Keyboard Shortcut menu.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 2, 2022 10:29 AM in response to Johne154

You simply need to redefine (i.e., Clear) the spacebar action that is defined in the Full Keyboard Access settings:

Settings > Accessibility > Keyboards > Full Keyboard Access > Commands

Find the action that is currently assigned to the Space key, tap, and select Clear from the Keyboard Shortcut menu.

Full Keyboard Access adds serious spacebar issues since at least iOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.