You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sound output problems with OS Monterey to external DAC

I'm experiencing a strange problem since updating my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) to OS Monterey. I had been streaming music to a stereo system from my Mac through USB connected to a Benchmark DAC3 B using Qobuz, Tidal, and Apple Music. The computer is hard-connected to a FiOs router through an ethernet cable (not wifi or bluetooth) and everything had been working great prior to the move to Monterey, but now none of the apps will send sound to the DAC. The connection is still there, since the DAC will show changes in bit rate settings coming from the source, but no sound. If I connect the USB cable from the DAC to my MacBook running Sierra, it works fine, so it's not a problem with the DAC or the stereo components. If I switch to a different USB sound output that connects to external computer speakers, all of the apps work fine, so the problem seems to be limited to the Benchmark DAC.

I've tried resetting the connections and settings, restarting all of the components, restarting my Mac in safe mode, but nothing has worked. I contacted Benchmark and they are unaware of any issue, and since there is no installed driver to use the DAC with a Mac, there is no new Monterey driver or anything to reinstall.

Any thoughts, or has anyone experienced any similar problems? This seems to be very specific to the Benchmark DAC, but it certainly seems to be caused by something in the new OS, so I'm kinda stuck.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best,

Jay

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jan 2, 2022 1:39 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jan 3, 2022 10:48 AM in response to jay902

Hello jay902,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities!

If we understand your post correctly, you're having sound output issues since installing Monterey on your Mac. We'd like to help!

The two articles below are about output and input speaker settings for the Mac. Go through these articles and ensure you have your input and output set up the way you want it to be.

Change the sound output settings on Mac

Change the sound input settings on Mac

We also recommend starting in safe mode. Sometimes just starting in this mode and then restarting can resolve issues like this: How to use safe mode on your Mac

You can also create another user on your Mac and test to see if you experience the same issue. 

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Let us know if you have any questions.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

Sound output problems with OS Monterey to external DAC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.