You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mailbox import fails after Monterey upgrade

I upgraded my Wife's 13" Early 2015 MacBook Air to Monterey 12.1, after which Mail does not work. It says it needs to import Mailboxes, then goes through that process (14,000 emails) and then fails saying " An error occurred during the import. Make sure you have available space in your Home folder and try again". I cleared out her hard drive; she now has 208Gb free of which 126GB are purgeable (not sure what that means though). Anyway, she has no more emails than she had before the upgrade of the OS - surely, that should be enough space?

I cannot get into Mail and remove her account and reinstall it (as has been suggested elsewhere) and the other thread on this has no suggestions. Can anyone help?

MacBook Air

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 11:11 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 18, 2022 3:30 AM

Well, I finally nailed the problem for anyone else encountering it. Having deleted my wife's email account and then reinstalled it, I should have selected that while still in System Prefs and checked the box for Mail. After I did that, it all loaded up just fine. So far so good!

Similar questions

7 replies

Jan 18, 2022 3:09 AM in response to Dick Powell

Well, deleting my wife's internet account in System prefs just made things worse. First to appear was the box asking what kind of account (iCloud, exchange etc) and I selected iCloud. Then it asked for the email address and password, after which it crashed - I have included the error log that came with that! If anyone has any idea how to fix this, I'd be really grateful. I have tried restarting and logging out and in again.

Jan 14, 2022 12:17 AM in response to Erie Man

I posted this over a week ago and you are the first person to comment. I still don't know what to do and would love someone more knowledgable to help us! I have done more research and this problem has surface several times before with Apple OS upgrades - I have tried some of the solutions posited then, but to no avail. I am told that I should delete the email account and then reinstall it - apparently you can do this from System preferences (as you can't get into Mail prefs), but I haven't tried it yet as we are not 100% sure of how to do it and are fearful of losing access to email.

Jan 14, 2022 5:46 AM in response to Dick Powell

First you want to be sure the email is working. Can you send and receive? If not I would go to mail, accounts and use the - sign at the bottom to delete the account then setup again. If mail is working and you want to get your email back you can get that from your Time machine backup. Open Finder then option key "GO" then library Look for mail/V9 directory. In that you will find some cryptic folders. Open each those and work down through those for your email folders (sent, trash, junk, etc,) You can then copy those to your desktop then import back into your mail app.

Jan 14, 2022 6:36 AM in response to tbirdvet

Thanks for your response on this, much appreciated! We can still access email via iPhone and iPad (it's an iCloud account), so that is all still working. It's just that, since the OS upgrade, we can't get it on here MacBook Air. This weekend, I'm going to try and delete her account via System prefs (we can't get into Mail prefs) and then try adding it back. I will keep this thread posted on the outcome of that for the benefit of anyone else encountering this!!

Mailbox import fails after Monterey upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.