You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why can't you use a Macbook made after 2019 with target display mode?! This is so crazy please tell me there's a workaround for this somehow!

I have an iMac that I've always been able to use as an external monitor while working from home. I could easily hook up my work Macbook to the iMac with a thunderbolt to USB-C cable. Now, my work was nice enough to get me the brand new 2021 Macbook and I sat on the support line for over 4 hours only to have them tell me that any Macbooks made after 2019 cannot use target display mode. How does this make sense?! Now my iMac is essentially useless because I'll have to get another monitor and move it off my desk with nowhere else to go. Apple please, please fix this issue!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 12:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 12:55 PM

We are not Apple, but an iMac is a computer not a monitor. Apple has supported it in the past but no longer. Any new monitor you get will work with the MacBook *and* your iMac. I have a plain, Jane Dell monitor that cost about $100 that I use on my iMac, my MacBookPro and my PC laptop.

Similar questions

3 replies

Jan 26, 2022 9:57 AM in response to cdean1027

We are your fellow end users with no special access to Apple decisions, and Apple won't answer that in this venue.

A fact we do know: The death of TDM started in late 2014 when the last TDM-capable iMacs were discontinued.

As complaining to Apple here is pointless, I invite you to use this feedback link that will place your concern before an Apple employee:

Feedback - iMac - Apple

Jan 26, 2022 9:47 AM in response to Keith Barkley

That’s great, but I’m a designer and am really looking for a high quality monitor to ensure color matching and high resolution. I have loved being able to use my iMac as my external monitor for my work MacBook, and don’t have any reason to get rid of my iMac since it still works and looks great, but now that I can’t use it as an external monitor I feel like I’m forced to get rid of it because I don’t have anywhere to put it once I get a monitor that works with this new model. Very disappointing to create needless waste this way. If anyone knows of a workaround please let me know.

Why can't you use a Macbook made after 2019 with target display mode?! This is so crazy please tell me there's a workaround for this somehow!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.