You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS TV App Home Videos disappear from App after being imported

I have imported a tremendous amount of home videos to a fresh install of macOS Catalina (version 10.15.7) on my iMac (27-inch, Late 2013). The movies appear in the TV App under Home Videos. Several days later, I try to watch the home videos, and the last imported videos no longer show up. If I go into the Movies\TV\Home Videos directory, the .m4v files are there, but they don't show up in the TV App.

I can re-import the Home Videos. A duplicate copy is moved to the Movies\TV\Home Videos directory with _1.m4v extension and will show up in the TV App for a period of time and then disappear again.

One item to note. I have the operating system on a 500GB SSD internal drive. The Videos are located on a 3TB internal HDD.

Is there a way to re-index? Are there other troubleshooting steps I can take?

Please note that this hardware only allows Catalina as the latest version of OS, so I cannot upgrade the OS.

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on Jan 5, 2022 5:22 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 6, 2022 1:49 PM

Hello Cobyflier,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with videos disappearing form the Apple TV app after being imported. Check to make sure your preferences are set correctly as described here: Change Files preferences in the Apple TV app on Mac

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 6, 2022 1:49 PM in response to Cobyflier

Hello Cobyflier,

Thank you for reaching out to Apple Support Communities, and we'll be happy to help in any way we can. We understand you're having issues with videos disappearing form the Apple TV app after being imported. Check to make sure your preferences are set correctly as described here: Change Files preferences in the Apple TV app on Mac

We hope this helps.

Cheers!

Jan 6, 2022 3:38 PM in response to Chris_C1

Thanks for your reply. I reviewed the preferences, and have everything listed as default. I just removed the duplicates from the Movies/TV/Media directory, and deselected "Copy files to Media folder when adding to Library". I then dragged and dropped the .M4V files which disappeared from the TV App to re-import them. I will see if that makes a difference, but I'm not really hopeful since I've done most of the above before.

One item of interest, this is only affecting files imported after 9/2021.

macOS TV App Home Videos disappear from App after being imported

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.