You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Revert to previous OS?

I have a 2015 MBP running macOS Big Sur 11.6. Is it possible to revert back to an older OS, such as Catalina 10.15? I have an expensive Fujitsu high speed scanner (32 bit) that I would rather not throw away. It's a fabulous scanner and I recently learned that Fujitsu possibly has an updated 64 bit driver that they made available in 2020 that will work on Catalina. I'm still looking for that driver and hopefully, more recent drivers from Fujitsu so I may continue to use my $400 Scansnap S1500M.

My other option is to buy a new scanner for $325. Which leads to another question: Is it unreasonable to be angry at Fujitsu for not continuing support for scanners so they can work on 64 bit computers? I do realize, my scanner is well over 10 years old, but it's performed flawlessly and wonderfully all these years and doesn't show any sign of failing now.

I also have a 2021 MBP running macOSMonterey 12.1

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 5:10 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 8, 2022 5:21 PM

Assuming the system ever did run the MacOS you want, yes.

I would have made a full backup before installing new MacOS and could overwrite the new MacOS disk image with the previous backup. Perhaps you have that option but you have not talked about your backups.

If you need clean-install if Catalina you can download using this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

But in an interesting twist available you if the system can run Catalina ... install Catalina on an external drive and option-boot (hold option key at boot time) to have one Catalina external and Big Sur on the internal.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 8, 2022 5:21 PM in response to cborbs

Assuming the system ever did run the MacOS you want, yes.

I would have made a full backup before installing new MacOS and could overwrite the new MacOS disk image with the previous backup. Perhaps you have that option but you have not talked about your backups.

If you need clean-install if Catalina you can download using this article: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211683

But in an interesting twist available you if the system can run Catalina ... install Catalina on an external drive and option-boot (hold option key at boot time) to have one Catalina external and Big Sur on the internal.

Jan 17, 2022 11:46 AM in response to steve359

Steve, I'm trying to follow your advice, but I've hit a snag. It turns out that the latest OS X that Fujitsu has an updated ScanSnap driver available for is Tiger 10.4

I've done a search for an OS X Tiger 10.4 installer, but only Lion and Mountain Lion pop up. Do you know where I could find a reliable clean install of Tiger?

I've got an external hard drive connected and ready. Thanks.

Revert to previous OS?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.