You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017 randomly shuts down

My MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports) has been randomly shutting down while operating. When I press the power button, it says it is out of battery even if it is fully charged. And when I plug in the charger to turn it on, there is still lots of battery left.

I ran the Diagnostics by pressing and holding D at startup, it resulted in PPT002 which seems to be an indicator that my battery is fine but under a certain percentage of design capacity. My Cycle Count is 357 now as I has only removed the charger approximately once a month. It is supposed to last up to 1000 cycles, isn't it?

Should I go to the store and change the battery? I am using macOS Catalina version 10.15.2.

Thanks,

MacBook

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 7:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 9, 2022 7:09 AM

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Your battery is degraded enough to be causing issues. Contact Apple Support to learn about service options: Get Support.

Only go to Apple, an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or send your device to Apple for service (if applicable or available). Do not go to a 3rd party/unauthorized repair center or attempt a repair yourself. This is for the assurance of authorized and professional repairs that use genuine Apple parts. Please refer to this from Apple Support:

Beware of counterfeit parts
Some counterfeit and third party power adapters and batteries may not be designed properly and could result in safety issues. To ensure you receive a genuine Apple battery during a battery replacement, we recommend visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you need a replacement adapter to charge your Apple device, we recommend getting an Apple power adapter.
Also non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts.

Jack

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 9, 2022 7:09 AM in response to ndha237

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities.

Your battery is degraded enough to be causing issues. Contact Apple Support to learn about service options: Get Support.

Only go to Apple, an Apple Authorized Service Provider, or send your device to Apple for service (if applicable or available). Do not go to a 3rd party/unauthorized repair center or attempt a repair yourself. This is for the assurance of authorized and professional repairs that use genuine Apple parts. Please refer to this from Apple Support:

Beware of counterfeit parts
Some counterfeit and third party power adapters and batteries may not be designed properly and could result in safety issues. To ensure you receive a genuine Apple battery during a battery replacement, we recommend visiting an Apple Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you need a replacement adapter to charge your Apple device, we recommend getting an Apple power adapter.
Also non-genuine replacement displays may have compromised visual quality and may fail to work correctly. Apple-certified screen repairs are performed by trusted experts who use genuine Apple parts.

Jack

MacBook Pro 13-inch 2017 randomly shuts down

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.