You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External hard disks always put to sleep?

Hi,

I have several USB hard disks connected to my Mac mini; most of the time, several of them are mounted at the same time.

I've recently noticed that all of them are put to sleep after idle, despite the fact that “Put hard disks to sleep when possible” in System Preferences is always unchecked (I choose this way). I would understand the other way around, as an app using the disk regularly, but this case puzzles me.

I know disk's firmwares may be configured to put disks to sleep, but I'm sure some of the affected hard disks didn't have this behaviour in the recent past.

I don't know the exact day this behaviour has started. I believe it's either when I bought my Mac mini (shipped with MacOS 11) or when I installed Mac OS 12, some weeks later.

Searching on the Internet led no good results to me.

Has Mac OS X recently changed in this regard?

If not, what else can put idle disks to sleep?

Mac mini, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 10, 2022 1:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 16, 2022 12:02 PM

Who marked the post above as solved? My issue isn't resolved at all.

Please unmark it.

Similar questions

9 replies

Jan 16, 2022 10:35 AM in response to Anic264b

I have the same issue -- already slow external drives on new M1 Mac mini even slower with all the spinning up and down constantly. My old Mac Mini at least kept them spinning for a few minutes before it decided to sleep them (and even then I had the put hard disks to sleep option unchecked).

Did any suggestions fix the issue? Thanks!

External hard disks always put to sleep?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.