You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting macbook air m1 to multiple displays (but use only one at a time)

Hello everyone,

so I know that the m1 macbook air only supports 1 external display. My question is, however, is it possible, to connect it to 2 different displays and only use one of them at a time.

Let me explain the situation so it makes more sense: my macbook is connected to an external monitor with which I do most of the work while home. The station is sitting in my bedroom, where I also have a TV screen. I'd like to connect the macbook to the TV screen, so that I can use it as a streamer. More precisely, what I am asking is - can I connect the m1 macbook to 2 different displays and choose which one is operating at any moment ?

Thanks in advance !

PS - English is not my native language so please excuse me for any mistakes here :)

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 4:10 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 8:31 AM

Tortuga14 wrote:
...My question is, however, is it possible, to connect it to 2 different displays and only use one of them at a time....

If you use an HDMI connections, there are plenty of different HDMI switches available so that you can switch from one display to a different one. You can get them to allow two displays or more.

If Amazon has a presence where you live, just search "HDMI Switches" or just do a Google search to find a more viable source for your location.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 12, 2022 8:31 AM in response to Tortuga14

Tortuga14 wrote:
...My question is, however, is it possible, to connect it to 2 different displays and only use one of them at a time....

If you use an HDMI connections, there are plenty of different HDMI switches available so that you can switch from one display to a different one. You can get them to allow two displays or more.

If Amazon has a presence where you live, just search "HDMI Switches" or just do a Google search to find a more viable source for your location.

Connecting macbook air m1 to multiple displays (but use only one at a time)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.