You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems connecting to websites, ping, traceroute

Running a Macbook M-1 Pro and version 12.0.1 of Monterey. I'm on Verizon FIOS with a near-gigabyte connection.

All browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari) have intermittent problems connecting to websites (any website). It is only intermittent -- the same website may respond instantly a minute later. Sometimes, it's a short 5 or 10 second delay. Many times much longer. Sometimes, the connection times out altogether. Running Ping or Traceroute from the command line will often product similar errors (e.g., Ping will timeout for each ping). Other apps that want a specific internet endpoint often fail as well (e.g., Microsoft Office 365 documents on OneDrive). The problem looks like a DNS issue, but substiting Google DNS or OpenDNS servers produces the same problem.

The problem is not speed. Once there's a connection, the downstream data comes very, very fast.

I might have concluded that it is the Verizon FIOS network or the WiFi connection, but all other computers (4), telephones (2) and tablets (1) perform without a hitch. I deduce it's my machine.

I've turned off "Share Mac Analytics" in System Preferences, per the suggestion of another poster to Apple Communities, but that doesn't help. I've turned off all Firefox extensions, but that doesn't work.

Are others experiencing the same problem? Has this been solved??

thanks much in advance,

Rob

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 10:06 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2022 10:35 AM

Rjkjr wrote:

Running a Macbook M-1 Pro and version 12.0.1 of Monterey. I'm on Verizon FIOS with a near-gigabyte connection.

All browsers (Firefox, Chrome, Safari) have intermittent problems connecting to websites (any website). It is only intermittent -- the same website may respond instantly a minute later. Sometimes, it's a short 5 or 10 second delay. Many times much longer. Sometimes, the connection times out altogether. Running Ping or Traceroute from the command line will often product similar errors (e.g., Ping will timeout for each ping). Other apps that want a specific internet endpoint often fail as well (e.g., Microsoft Office 365 documents on OneDrive). The problem looks like a DNS issue, but substiting Google DNS or OpenDNS servers produces the same problem.

The problem is not speed. Once there's a connection, the downstream data comes very, very fast.

I might have concluded that it is the Verizon FIOS network or the WiFi connection, but all other computers (4), telephones (2) and tablets (1) perform without a hitch. I deduce it's my machine.

I've turned off "Share Mac Analytics" in System Preferences, per the suggestion of another poster to Apple Communities, but that doesn't help. I've turned off all Firefox extensions, but that doesn't work.

thanks much in advance,

Rob

If Safari on Mac isn't opening a web page or working as ...

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 12, 2022 10:35 AM in response to Rjkjr

Rjkjr wrote:

thanks much in advance,

Rob

If Safari on Mac isn't opening a web page or working as ...

Problems connecting to websites, ping, traceroute

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.