You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Music stops playing after a few hours

For the last couple of months my Apple Music will stop playing/responding after about 2-3 hours. The app still responds as I can pull up new artists/tracks, skip tracks etc. but the track never actually starts - it’s like it’s stuck at the beginning of the track. I use my Apple Music to play ambient sounds while I sleep, and every morning the sound has stopped and nothing further will play. I have to force close the app and restart it for it to work again.

iPhone 11 Pro Max, iOS 15

Posted on Jan 14, 2022 5:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 15, 2022 8:11 PM

Nope. The issue started AFTER I downloaded the latest update. My nighttime playlist is 160 tracks, I have it on repeat all so it shouldn’t be stopping at all. When it does stop, it’s never on the same track. I’m fairly certain it’s not a issue on my end.

3 replies

Jan 20, 2022 8:47 AM in response to Mattiooo

Mattiooo,

It definitely sounds like this isn't expected behavior, we'd agree. Does it happen with just that one playlist or is it all playlists and albums you test with? If you're not sure, we'd recommend testing with a few different albums and playlists and seeing if the issue keeps happening regardless of what you're listening to.

If it does continue to occur, we'd recommend reaching out to Apple directly to troubleshoot this in a more hands-on way. Here is how you can reach out: Contact Apple Support.

We hope that this information is helpful.

​Have a great day!

Jan 15, 2022 8:46 AM in response to Mattiooo

Hey there, Mattiooo!

Thanks so much for using Apple Support Communities.

Being able to rely on your Apple Music app to play consistently is huge. We're happy to help.

To start, we definitely want to recommend making sure that you iPhone is up to date: Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch. This can seem like a basic step but in our experience, it can resolve a ton of issues with unexpected behavior so it's worth double checking.

If you're still not having luck, we'd recommend that you make sure that the content you're playing is longer than the amount of time you're keeping Apple Music open.

For example, a playlist that has 2 hours worth of music will stop after that 2 hour period no matter what if nothing is queued afterwards. It will then show the first track on the playlist in the "Now Playing" section but will not actually continue to play that content once it has finished.

However, you can use the "Repeat" feature for the playlist to have it continue playing:

How to repeat music on your iPhone

We hope this does the trick for you!

Cheers.

Apple Music stops playing after a few hours

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.