You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why do my open windows disappear when opening mission control?

When using mission control, my windows all shrink to a dot making it impossible to actually select a window (which is the whole point of using mission control in the first place).

I'm on Monterey (12.0) but it looks like this problem has occurred on multiple versions and there's no evidence it has ever been fixed (e.g. https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8296956)

This only effects my main screen. The problem doesn't exist for any external monitors for example, that are not the main screen.

MacBook Pro 14″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Jan 17, 2022 9:46 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 19, 2022 10:30 AM

I have no idea why this is happening for you, but I can assure you that it is not what most users experience.

I can only recommend the usual:

1) Restart in Safe Mode, and test. Most likely, the problem will not be present in Safe Mode, indicating that some third party software modification is likely the problem.

2) Run Etrecheck and post its full report here, so we can know which software modifications there are and hopefully figure out which is causing this.

Similar questions

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 19, 2022 10:30 AM in response to zaksmith86

I have no idea why this is happening for you, but I can assure you that it is not what most users experience.

I can only recommend the usual:

1) Restart in Safe Mode, and test. Most likely, the problem will not be present in Safe Mode, indicating that some third party software modification is likely the problem.

2) Run Etrecheck and post its full report here, so we can know which software modifications there are and hopefully figure out which is causing this.

Why do my open windows disappear when opening mission control?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.