You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration assistant hung on “looking for source”

Just got MacBook Pro back from apple after touchbar repair. I had updated to newest OS and had time machine backup on SSID before sending to apple.. they wiped my hard drive. I am trying to restore from time machine backup and it hangs on “looking for source” and “looking for other sources”. I tried rebooting twice but same problem.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 20, 2022 5:49 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 7:31 PM

Hey there bonzai80305,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with restoring a Time Machine backup on your MacBook Pro, and we'd be happy to provide you with the best steps.

To get started, did you follow all the steps listed in the following resource on restoring your Time Machine backup: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

If so, give the steps listed in this additional resource a try that may be able to help: If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support

If still having issues after going through the resources above, then we would recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly from this link here: Get Support - Apple

We hope that's able to help.

Best regards.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 21, 2022 7:31 PM in response to bonzai80305

Hey there bonzai80305,

Thanks for reaching out to the Apple Support Communities. We understand you're having issues with restoring a Time Machine backup on your MacBook Pro, and we'd be happy to provide you with the best steps.

To get started, did you follow all the steps listed in the following resource on restoring your Time Machine backup: Restore your Mac from a backup - Apple Support

If so, give the steps listed in this additional resource a try that may be able to help: If you can't back up or restore your Mac using Time Machine - Apple Support

If still having issues after going through the resources above, then we would recommend reaching out to Apple Support directly from this link here: Get Support - Apple

We hope that's able to help.

Best regards.

Jan 22, 2022 6:53 AM in response to Chris_V89

Fixed the problem after couple days with multiple apple support staff. I believe the issue was due to my time machine being passcode protected and the fact that migration assistant crashed during the first migration, resulting in less space on the laptop (but files could not be found and deleted to free up space) such that successive attempts at migration resulted in “sorry some files could not be transferred” (and zero files were transferred). I had to repair the time machine backup; erase the laptop; reinstall Mac OS; upgrade to Monterrey; get laptop up and running; and then try migration assistant again to get it to work.

Migration assistant hung on “looking for source”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.