You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems opening collaborative Keynote from Safari

Hi,

We have multiple users who have problems with sharing collaborative Keynotes.

The problem is that people receive a collaborative Keynote via a link in a browser (here Safari version 15.2 on a MacBook Pro M1 with macOS Monterey 12.1) and then try to open the file in the Keynote app (here Keynote version 11.2) using the button in the browser window top right "Open in Keynote", will get a notification with these words:

"Opening in Keynote for Mac...
If the presentation doesn´t open, make sure you have the latest version of Keynote, and that you´re signed in to iCloud on your Mac with iCloud Drive turned on for Keynote.
Get the latest Keynote for Mac"

It is my understanding that both the sender and the receiver are both on all the latest versions and still we can not open the collaborative Keynote in the Keynote app.

Anyone, who have a solution to this?

BR

Peter Lars Jensen

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Jan 21, 2022 7:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 26, 2022 5:23 AM

So this is a glitch... I recon...

I can get around it by doing the following:

1. Click on the invite link.
  2. It will open a browser window and present the Keynote file in the browser.
  3. Click the button in the browser window top right "Open in Keynote", which will give you the notification "Opening in Keynote for Mac..." (as seen in my screenshot above).
  4. Now copy the URL of the browser (or simply just from the invite).
  5. Paste it into TextEdit.
  6. Right-click the link (in TextEdit).
  7. Choose Open Link from the contextual menu.
  8. Open the file in the Keynote app by clicking the "Open"-button in the following dialogue:

Problem solved...

BR

Peter Lars Jensen

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 26, 2022 5:23 AM in response to plj–kp

So this is a glitch... I recon...

I can get around it by doing the following:

1. Click on the invite link.
  2. It will open a browser window and present the Keynote file in the browser.
  3. Click the button in the browser window top right "Open in Keynote", which will give you the notification "Opening in Keynote for Mac..." (as seen in my screenshot above).
  4. Now copy the URL of the browser (or simply just from the invite).
  5. Paste it into TextEdit.
  6. Right-click the link (in TextEdit).
  7. Choose Open Link from the contextual menu.
  8. Open the file in the Keynote app by clicking the "Open"-button in the following dialogue:

Problem solved...

BR

Peter Lars Jensen

Jan 22, 2022 11:40 AM in response to plj–kp

Hi plj–kp,

Thank you for posting in Apple Support Communities! From our understanding, when opening a shared keynote, from the browser to the app, you get an error to update to the latest version of Keynote, is that right?

Is the Apple ID signed into the Mac as well? Is iCloud Drive turned on? Does the same thing occur if you open the document in Keynote directly?

Be sure that iCloud for Keynote is set up based on the information here: Set up iCloud for Keynote on all your devices.

Let us know!

Jan 25, 2022 6:41 AM in response to bailier

Hi bailier,

OK, so this is kind of a glitch? I can in fact open the file in Finder from iCloud Drive > Keynote - sometimes...

So, I guess the notification pop up does not take into account that some Keynote files are very big and take some time to download/sync with the iCloud Drive, why is the button in the browser window top right "Open in Keynote", does not respond?

BR

Peter Lars Jensen

Problems opening collaborative Keynote from Safari

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.