You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using APFS Time Machine Backup with Big Sur

I recently upgraded to Big Sur and was trying to use APFS disks for Time Machine. I want to store other items, too, so I created separate APFS volumes.

First, I created a single volume, with three separate APFS volumes and Time Machine would not recognize the disks.

Then I partitioned the disk into two parts. One part has a separate volume I want to use for Time Machine. Time Machine does not recognize it either.

What am I doing wrong?

iMac 27″ 5K, macOS 11.6

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 8:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 24, 2022 1:06 PM

I have had two physical drives formatted in Mac OS Extended (HFS+). Both of those have two partitions: one TimeMachine partition and one partition for files (not TM). They work fine. TM backs up to both of those two partitions that are located on two different drives.

I got a new drive (a third physical drive) and since I am now on Big Sur, I decided to try APFS and store Time Machine on one partition and misc files on the other partition.

At first, I created one 'container' and created two APFS System Volumes (sorry if the terminology is not exactly correct). When I went into Time Machine, I could not find the Volume I wanted to use for TM backup, nor any volume from that drive.

On reading some comments, I figured I might need a partition of a defined size (rather than the APFS volume which can change size. I think?). So I partitioned the hard drive into two APFS 'containers' of a fixed size, each one half the size of the drive. The Time Machine is on the second 'container' since the first container has files I had already backed up to this drive.

Now, suddenly, TM recognizes the second partition. It did not do so earlier today. Go figure.

So I am good to go!

Similar questions

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 24, 2022 1:06 PM in response to Barney-15E

I have had two physical drives formatted in Mac OS Extended (HFS+). Both of those have two partitions: one TimeMachine partition and one partition for files (not TM). They work fine. TM backs up to both of those two partitions that are located on two different drives.

I got a new drive (a third physical drive) and since I am now on Big Sur, I decided to try APFS and store Time Machine on one partition and misc files on the other partition.

At first, I created one 'container' and created two APFS System Volumes (sorry if the terminology is not exactly correct). When I went into Time Machine, I could not find the Volume I wanted to use for TM backup, nor any volume from that drive.

On reading some comments, I figured I might need a partition of a defined size (rather than the APFS volume which can change size. I think?). So I partitioned the hard drive into two APFS 'containers' of a fixed size, each one half the size of the drive. The Time Machine is on the second 'container' since the first container has files I had already backed up to this drive.

Now, suddenly, TM recognizes the second partition. It did not do so earlier today. Go figure.

So I am good to go!

Jan 24, 2022 9:08 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

I don't know why Time Machine doesn't recognize the partition. That's how I did it before finding BlueberryLover's post (linked below).

In order to use a Volume for Time Machine, you have to create it using diskutil in the command line. Creating one from the GUI doesn't seem to work. The syntax is:

diskutil ap addvolume <containerReference> APFSX "volName" -role T -quota <sizeSpec> -passphrase "passPhrase" -passphrasehint "hint" 

See BlueberryLover's thread: https://discussions.apple.com/thread/253305876?answerId=256195547022#256195547022

containerReference can be found using,

diskutil ap list 

sizeSpec is in the form, 350g, 1t, etc.

You do not need to specify a quota, passphrase, or hint.

Jan 24, 2022 9:47 AM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks.

I try to avoid using the command line, but I will try it.

I created the partition using Disk Utility. It works for disks formatted in 'Mac OS Extended (Journaled)'. I have two TimeMachine disks, each partitioned in half and those are recognized and work as backups.

But in this disk, I have two separate 'Container's' of a fixed size. The second one is the one I had hoped to use for a TimeMachine backup. That appears on my list of drives, but does not show up as an option in TimeMachine preferences.

Jan 24, 2022 9:59 AM in response to Barney-15E

I think we might be misunderstanding each other.

I have, physically, two drives. I want to partition each one. And use those two drives as a backup. I am not partitioning one drive and expecting to have two TM machines backups on one. I realize that would be silly.

If I take one of my two drives and make it a dedicated TM backup, that would work, but all my TimeMachine backup is on one drive. If that fails, I lose my TM backup.

But what I want to do is take my two physical drives and partition them. That way I have two TM backups. And if one fails, I still have the other. I can do that with the older Mac format. But I have been unable to partition and use the second physical drive partitioned in APFS.

Jan 24, 2022 10:22 AM in response to Lawrence Hammer

But I have been unable to partition and use the second physical drive partitioned in APFS.

I don't know why it is failing. I did the same for one local and one network backup. Maybe it was the fact that I shared out the second and marked it as a Time Machine backup in the Sharing System Preferences.

Which one doesn't work, first or second partition?

I have since converted that drive over to two APFS Volumes based on BlueberryLover's post.

Using APFS Time Machine Backup with Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.