You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Delete Photos

I recently sold my MacBook and the person said they would take care of wiping the hard drive and resetting it. A few days later ALL the photos on my iPhone have vanished. Is this related?? And is it possible to recover my lost photos?? Please Help!!!

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 8:28 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 8:31 AM

Your MacBook buyer deleted all your photos from iCloud.

You have 30 days to get them back, here's how: https://support.apple.com/guide/icloud/delete-and-recover-photos-and-videos-mm08b49040b5/icloud

5 replies

Jan 25, 2022 10:23 AM in response to atthecshore

Honestly, I don’t believe there ever was one. I have an iPhone 12 and never once hooked it up to my MacBook. Not physically at least. I also have an iPad Pro that shared the Photo Stream between it and my old iPhone XR but it doesn’t share that connection with my current phone. I’m a little curious as to why the photos on my phone have vanished but all the photos on my iPad are still there.

Jan 25, 2022 1:28 PM in response to Ec42095

Your iPhone doesn't have to be hooked up to your computer to share photos.

These days, the primary way to share across devices is using iCloud, which syncs photos to all your devices over wifi (or other wireless connection). It sounds like you had that turned on in your MacBook and didn't realize it and that's how they got on your iPad.

Assuming this theory is correct, you can turn on iCloud on your iPhone and the photos will download, and from then on will sync photos between devices.

Delete Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.