You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2-factor authentication

When I'm logging into a site that requires 2-factor authentication, the code is sent by Messages to my iPhone, of course, but also to the device, typically my MacBook, that I'm logging in from. Doesn't this defeat the whole point? ie if someone has stolen my Macbook or gained unauthorized access to it (and has somehow found out the log-in password for the particular site) then they will get the code too. Sure, I'll get it on my iPhone and I'll know someone's trying to log into my account, but by the time I can do anything about it it will most likely be too late.

So how is 2FA making me more secure in this scenario (as opposed to if someone got my log-in credentials but didn't have any of my devices)? Is there a way to stop the code from being sent to my MacBook? Or what am I missing?

Thanks

MacBook, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 10:54 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 6:47 PM

When I'm logging into a site that requires 2-factor authentication, the code is sent by Messages to my iPhone, of course, but also to the device, typically my MacBook, that I'm logging in from. Doesn't this defeat the whole point?

If your MacBook is stolen, you should remove it from your trusted devices. Text Message Forwarding

Is there a way to stop the code from being sent to my MacBook?

Turn off Text Message Forwarding. Remove your MacBook from your trusted devices.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 25, 2022 6:47 PM in response to Peter Roussak

When I'm logging into a site that requires 2-factor authentication, the code is sent by Messages to my iPhone, of course, but also to the device, typically my MacBook, that I'm logging in from. Doesn't this defeat the whole point?

If your MacBook is stolen, you should remove it from your trusted devices. Text Message Forwarding

Is there a way to stop the code from being sent to my MacBook?

Turn off Text Message Forwarding. Remove your MacBook from your trusted devices.

Jan 25, 2022 7:21 PM in response to Barney-15E

Thanks but that's not really helpful.

First, if the MB is stolen, then as I wrote:

"Sure, I'll get [the code] on my iPhone and I'll know someone's trying to log into my account, but by the time I can do anything about it it will most likely be too late." Of course I'll remove it as a trusted device but how exactly is that going to help if the thief has already got the code, logged in and done their damage?

And yeah, I can stop the MB from receiving any Messages at all, or even only Messages sent to my phone number since that's where the sites with 2FA are sending the code, but that's going to seriously interfere with regular use of the computer. Clearly what I meant (and wrote) was whether there's a way to specify where *codes* are sent and received.

2-factor authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.