You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Mac Set Up

My new Mac has just arrived. What are the initial steps to set it up before making file transfer?

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 5:34 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 25, 2022 5:50 PM

Apple describes it better than I could in the support document Restore Your Mac from a Backup.

It relies on you already having a Time Machine backup on an external drive which of course you will have (??).

Just start up your new Mac and follow the prompts.

7 replies

Jan 25, 2022 6:42 PM in response to AnOldUser

Let us know what your experience was like.

Turn it on and follow the prompts. Connecting to wi-fi is part of the start up process as I recall, chiefly to sign into iCloud and then to be on your network. Wi-fi is not required for file transfer, possible using these instructions but not required - and I recommend you don't attempt to transfer your data via wi-fi; it's too slow and takes too long in my experience. Do you have a Time Mahine backup?

Enjoy your first days on your new Mac.

Jan 25, 2022 6:45 PM in response to AnOldUser

Setup assistant (at first run):

The key to easy setup is to NOT create anew userid, but to point out that you have the information from you old Mac on a connected hard drive from Time machine.

It will then transfer your data, INCLUDING userid, Wi-FI password and other parameters, and everything.

Migration assistant (typically later):

Only if you need to copy files from another computer over your Home Network is the Wi-Fi password required separately. and the other computer may need File sharing enabled, or whatever Migration assistant demands.

Move your content to a new Mac - Apple Support

Jan 25, 2022 6:39 PM in response to David McKinlay

Thanks again. I read through these file transfering instructions at least twice but did not know what to do right after taking the Mac out of the box, as other new devices would show by giving you instructions on the papers in the box...

I have now just opened my new Mac (it was on without my turning a switch) and will have a session with Apple Support for set up tomorrow.

Jan 28, 2022 6:13 PM in response to David McKinlay

I began the initial set up. And, got to the Migration Assistant. Following directions, I went to utilities on the old iMac, started MA, entered the admin account &PW, and got a beach all. Meantime, the new iMac doesn’t show the ‘source’ iMac and I can’t continue from that screen. Both new and old are on the same WiFi network and sitting next to one another.

what happens if I stop MA on the old imac? And, how do I do that? ForceQuit?

I have a TimeMachine backup. Current. Is there a preference to use it? ‘Cause the transfer is faster? Would be helpful if transfer times were given for different methods of transfer.

Jan 31, 2022 9:43 AM in response to ConfusedUser314

Thanks to all those who helped me to answer my questions. Here I am reporting to you the great experience I had setting up my new MacBook Pro by transferring data from my old MacBook Air that I purchased in late 2017.

"Apple Support" was very helpful. Even though the "Set Up" session was only 30-minute, I was able to complete the main steps when the session ended. To be exact, I followed the instructions from the "Apple Support" staff over the phone to start transferring data at 10:10 (the session started at 10:00. Ten minutes to connect to WiFi for the new Pro, etc. to be ready). By 10:40 the entire 100GB data was copied from the Air to the Pro. Even though the session was ended at 10:30, the staff sent me an email for additional instructions, including a number to call for additional questions.

Once the data were transferred, I was able to use my new Mac to do my work. I did have two troubles at the very beginning. One was to save Excel and Word files after editing the existing ones. Two was to connect the Pro to my external monitor. At that time I called the phone number from the email I had just received and both problems were resolved quickly.

Now I have erased all my data from the old MacBook Air and put it in the box from Apple and am ready to mail it back to Apple for a credit.

Thanks to Apple and thank you all.

New Mac Set Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.