You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Printing from a MacBook Air Issues

I am trying to assist a customer who has a MacBook and an issue with connecting to a HP laserjet printer. This is a wireless issue, and her iPhone and my iPhone have no issues printing. This has just cropped up recently, and she has been able to print for a year before. Printer is about a year old.

I have:

1) Turned off the printer; then rejoined the printer to the network

2) Turned off the MacBook, and forgot the network; then rejoined

3) Uninstalled the printer software and reinstalled

4) Powered down the modem/router (comcast standard issue) and powered up

5) Assigned a static IP address to printer

The connection goes in and out. If it does managed to stay connected, then printing can take as long as 4 minutes to get the page printed. Whereas, the iPhone(s) print almost immediately.

I am beginning to think that it may be the comcast issued modem/router. Either it needs replacement OR I could try and create a whole new wireless network and rejoin all devices.

Anyone else had this issue?

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 5:32 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 6:37 AM

Hi,

To begin with, it would help to know the exact HP LaserJet model. Also, the exact macOS version used for the MacBook Air.

Some dual-band routers with automatic device detection and band selection can cause difficulties. It may become necessary to split/rename 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks. A 2.4 GHz-only setting could be used for a test.

You may want to try the following power-cycling sequence:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the computer, the iPhone(s), and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the computer. Finally, power on the iPhone(s) and all other devices/computers. Any change?

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2022 6:37 AM in response to Huntsk

Hi,

To begin with, it would help to know the exact HP LaserJet model. Also, the exact macOS version used for the MacBook Air.

Some dual-band routers with automatic device detection and band selection can cause difficulties. It may become necessary to split/rename 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz networks. A 2.4 GHz-only setting could be used for a test.

You may want to try the following power-cycling sequence:

Power off the Wi-Fi router, the printer, the computer, the iPhone(s), and all other devices/computers. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the router. Wait two to three minutes. Power on the printer. Wait a minute or two. Power on the computer. Finally, power on the iPhone(s) and all other devices/computers. Any change?

Reset the printing system on your Mac to solve a problem – Apple Support (UK)

Add a printer to your printer list so you can use it on Mac – Apple Support (UK)

Jan 30, 2022 10:19 AM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan:

Thanks for the response. I am going back to the clients home tomorrow and will note the MacBook OS and the printer model. I had planned on doing what you suggest. Breaking out the 2.4/5 bands as separate. And I am just going to recreate the networks with different names and see if this helps. I will report back then. Thanks again!

Printing from a MacBook Air Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.