You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook trying to use Internet recovery even after I've connected install media

• 2021 MacBook Pro (has not been linked to my account yet)
  • Intel silicon (90% certain on that)
  • Terminated employee, had to erase the drive because we did not have their credentials
  • Was running Monterey, trying to reinstall Monterey
  • Attempted internet recovery about 10 times, but it failed after about 2-3 hours each time
  • Checked my internet speeds, reporting about ~320 Mbps via wifi
  • Followed the article to create install media (32GB Thumbdrive, connected via CalDigit USB 3.0 hub purchased from Apple ~1 year ago)
  • Prompted to select bootable disk
  • Select bootable disk (by clicking up arrow)
  • System hesitates for a few seconds
  • Prompts me to select wifi network (I've connected to the router via CAT 5e cable, so I don't know why this is)
  • Select wifi network, enter password
  • Shows that its starting internet recovery again

What's going on? Am I doing something wrong? I've been trying to get this dumb thing to work for over a week now and I'm at my wit's end!

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 9:52 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 10:01 AM

mrBoJackButter wrote:

2021 MacBook Pro (has not been linked to my account yet)
• Terminated employee, had to erase the drive because we did not have their credentials
• Attempted internet recovery about 10 times, but it failed after about 2-3 hours each time
• Followed the article to create install media (32GB Thumbdrive, connected via CalDigit USB 3.0 hub purchased from Apple ~1 year ago)
• Prompts me to select wifi network (I've connected to the router via CAT 5e cable, so I don't know why this is)

What's going on? Am I doing something wrong? I've been trying to get this dumb thing to work for over a week now and I'm at my wit's end!

M1—If your Mac starts up to an exclamation point in a circle

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211868

On any new Mac you have 90-day complimentary call in support, I would take advantage of this one-on-one:

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2022 10:01 AM in response to mrBoJackButter

mrBoJackButter wrote:

2021 MacBook Pro (has not been linked to my account yet)

M1—If your Mac starts up to an exclamation point in a circle

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT211868

On any new Mac you have 90-day complimentary call in support, I would take advantage of this one-on-one:

Call Customer Support (800) MY–APPLE (800–692–7753)

or on line https://getsupport.apple.com/

or call AppleCare Support at 1-800-APLCARE (800-275-2273)

Outside the USA—Contact Apple for support and service by phone

See a list of Apple phone numbers around the world.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201232

Jan 30, 2022 5:15 PM in response to mrBoJackButter

If you never configured the T2 Mac to boot to USB drives using the Startup Security Utility, then you will be unable to boot from a USB drive until you make that change which does require booting into Recovery Mode/Internet Recovery Mode:

About Startup Security Utility on a Mac with the Apple T2 Security Chip - Apple Support

If you cannot install macOS from either USB or Internet Recovery Mode, then you may need to "Restore" the T2 firmware using the instructions in this Apple article:

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator 2 - Apple Support

Jan 30, 2022 11:05 AM in response to mrBoJackButter

It is possible that, when connected to a complex ThunderBolt dock, your bootable USB drive is not seen at startup when there are no drivers ready to talk to it on that ThunderBolt dock.

I suggest you buy some very small USB-C to USB [-A] adapters (about two for US$10) from Amazon or elsewhere and connect it that way, and see if your luck improves. {Careful you get the sexes of the USB-C and USB ports correct for your setup -- both types are available.]

MacBook trying to use Internet recovery even after I've connected install media

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.