You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

cant install monterey on mac drive because message says it is a backup

Trying to up grade from High sierra To Monterey on iMac 10.13.6.

Gave up 2 years ago on the last attempt.

Same message this time ......cant use mac HD destination because it is a backup ??

iMac 21.5″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 2:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 3:51 PM

Please refer to this old Discussion: Upgrade to Catalina.

In it,

John Galt wrote:
That Support document explains what happens if you attempt to do what it says. However, Step 2 explains the salient point: If a Backups.backupdb folder exists at the root level of whatever device on which you're attempting to install macOS, the installer will conclude it's a Time Machine backup drive, and won't let you proceed.

The document I referenced no longer exists because that problem is not supposed to happen any more. I wonder if the cause remains the same.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 30, 2022 3:51 PM in response to rollinghitch

Please refer to this old Discussion: Upgrade to Catalina.

In it,

John Galt wrote:
That Support document explains what happens if you attempt to do what it says. However, Step 2 explains the salient point: If a Backups.backupdb folder exists at the root level of whatever device on which you're attempting to install macOS, the installer will conclude it's a Time Machine backup drive, and won't let you proceed.

The document I referenced no longer exists because that problem is not supposed to happen any more. I wonder if the cause remains the same.

cant install monterey on mac drive because message says it is a backup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.