You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to save Safari Bookmarks for an OSX re-instal without using Time Machine ?

How do I save my Safari bookmarks without using Time Machine ?

Does iCloud store them ?

Is it possible to save them from the Users Folder or drag and save them from preferences ?

thanks for any help,

t

iMac 21.5″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Jan 30, 2022 5:53 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 5:39 AM

the method i use to save my bookmarks is to use AppleMenu > Safari > File > Export > Bookmarks.

this will place a file with your bookmarks as clickable links on your desktop. (or the location you use for downloads) then i just drag and drop it to an USB stick.

12 replies

Feb 5, 2022 1:55 PM in response to txchain

txchain wrote:

Hi,

Then what do I do with the exported bookmark list ?

i drag and drop the exported bookmarks file to an USB thumb drive. if i ever needed to restore the bookmarks to safari, i would drag and drop the file from the thumb drive onto my desktop and then import them into safari by using Apple Menu > File > Import From > Bookmarks HTML File.

Feb 5, 2022 10:25 PM in response to BlueberryLover

I understand how to export bookmarks and all you get a list that you can click on. I suppose it will help.

What I'm asking is how to someone restore the bookmarks to appear within the Safari application as they were.

I don't see anything in the preferences folder for safari.

I don't see a Safari folder in the User folder.

I tried using iCloud before and it gave me an old bookmarks list.

There should be a well known answer to restoring anything in the users applications or folder for an erase and re-instal that does involve TimeMachine as the only answer.

Any answers ?

t

how to save Safari Bookmarks for an OSX re-instal without using Time Machine ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.