You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

find files by extension in Finder doesn't work properly

So I have a root Folder with some folders inside containing PSD, ARW, XMP and JPG files mixed within.

I need to see only JPG.

So I apply search filter to my root folder in finder using parameters "kind-> image-> JPEG"

On some folders it shows only some files, and in other folders shows nothing.

But when I get into specific folder all the JPG files are there but MAC doesn't show them up in search.

MacBook Pro Retina

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 2:40 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 31, 2022 6:19 AM

The Narrow your search results on Mac describes how to use the Spotlight reserved words. To find JPEG files, and knowing that Spotlight does a case-insensitive search. The following works for me in the Spotlight pane, or in a Finder WIndow's search field:

kind:image AND (+.jpg OR +.jpeg OR +.jp2)

I recommend that you also have your Finder Preferences > Advanced panel setting:

When performing a search: [ Search the Current Folder ↕︎ ]

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 31, 2022 6:19 AM in response to BaDnMaD

The Narrow your search results on Mac describes how to use the Spotlight reserved words. To find JPEG files, and knowing that Spotlight does a case-insensitive search. The following works for me in the Spotlight pane, or in a Finder WIndow's search field:

kind:image AND (+.jpg OR +.jpeg OR +.jp2)

I recommend that you also have your Finder Preferences > Advanced panel setting:

When performing a search: [ Search the Current Folder ↕︎ ]

find files by extension in Finder doesn't work properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.