You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Privacy Warning Toggle Can't Switch

I have an iPad pro given to me for work. I keep getting a Privacy Warning on my wifi, but I am unable to switch on the Private Wifi Address toggle. What can I do?

iPad Pro 10.5-inch, Wi-Fi

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 11:08 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 1, 2022 11:16 AM

If your company has "locked" this iPad, you will not be able to enable the Private Address option as that, most likely, would impact their network when the iPad is connected there.

This warning is indicating that the iPad is using its MAC address when connecting to your home network. This is actually normal, but with recent concerns about security, has been determined to be less "safe." What this option does, when enabled, is create a pseudo MAC address for each Wi-Fi network it connects to. This is to prevent tracking.

This option became available with iPadOS 14.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 1, 2022 11:16 AM in response to MelindaMos

If your company has "locked" this iPad, you will not be able to enable the Private Address option as that, most likely, would impact their network when the iPad is connected there.

This warning is indicating that the iPad is using its MAC address when connecting to your home network. This is actually normal, but with recent concerns about security, has been determined to be less "safe." What this option does, when enabled, is create a pseudo MAC address for each Wi-Fi network it connects to. This is to prevent tracking.

This option became available with iPadOS 14.

Feb 1, 2022 11:15 AM in response to MelindaMos

As described, your iPad has a management profile installed by your employer that enforces certain settings. If so, you may not be able to configure or change some settings or services.

Apple’s WiFi Private Address feature provides additional privacy and security when using “public” (untrusted) WiFi networks. This feature is largely unnecessary for your home WiFi network. The”warning” that you observe is essentially informational - as your iPad will continue to operate with all the security that existed prior to introduction of this feature.

Privacy Warning Toggle Can't Switch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.