You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro shutting down on its own when I am NOT using my camera for Zoom calls.

If I do not start a video/zoom call my computer automatically freezes and shuts down on me. Not sure what's causing it but it shuts down every 2 - 5 minutes if I am not using my camera I guess or performing some activity that controls either the camera or microphone, I'm not sure.

I'll attach a few images that may help you see what I'm running and if at all possible identify anything that's wrong:

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 8:10 AM

5 replies

Feb 8, 2022 8:08 AM in response to The-Mr-Jones

Thanks for replying, The-Mr-Jones, and that additional info, it really helps! You can figure out if unexpected behavior is related to a user file or setting by trying to reproduce the issue from another user account. This process includes creating a new user account, logging in to it, and testing for the issue.

Set up users, guests, and groups on Mac

Next, use safe mode to start up your Mac as it does the following things:

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed
  • Loads only required kernel extensions
  • Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically
  • Disables user-installed fonts
  • Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Log in to your user account and test the issue while in safe mode and then restart normally and test the issue again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac

Graphics performance limited in macOS Recovery, safe mode, or Guest User mode

Have a great day and thanks for using the Apple Support Communities!

Feb 5, 2022 9:28 AM in response to The-Mr-Jones

I'm going to assume you downloaded and installed the app from here: https://zoom.us/download

If that's the case then I'm assuming you're on version 5.9.3 (4239)

Well, either case lets try to uninstall and reinstall the app.

First click anywhere on your desktop background

On the top bar select Go

Then on the dropdown menu select Applications

Once the applications window pops up press the z key on your keyboard

This will highlight Zoom. Next drag the app to the trash can in the dock

Next open up the trash can, if you have a lot of trash you can press z to find zoom again

Then Right click Zoom and select the option Delete Immediately...

Next go back to the download site: https://zoom.us/download

download the pkg

Go to your downloads folder

Click anywhere on your desktop background

Click Go > Downloads

Press the z key to find Zoom.pkg

Double click to open and install Zoom.

This should resolve any issue the previous install had.

MacBook Pro shutting down on its own when I am NOT using my camera for Zoom calls.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.