You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Lock Screen. How does it work?

I am getting confused about Screen Lock and what it is exactly. When I shut down my iMac computer and then turn it back on, I am confronted with a fairly bare looking screen in the centre of which is a box containing my user identity and a blank field into which I can enter my password. Is this screen an example of a locked screen? I press the little arrow symbol to enter my password and the computer display comes to life with all the normal items on it such as the menu items along the top of the screen, the dock items, desktop items etc.

The penultimate item in the drop-down Apple menu is Lock Screen. I would like to explore what this is but I'm nervous about clicking on it in case I get a locked (frozen?) screen that I can't get out of. Is it the case that you unlock a locked screen with the same password referred to in my paragraph above? I am not aware of ever having been asked to set up Lock Screen with a password or code etc.

My penultimate aim is to set up a piece of IP camera viewing software behind a screen lock. This software has to remain open when I am remote from my house and will not work if the computer is asleep. At the moment, I set it up, turn on a screen saver and leave the house safe in the knowledge that I can view my camera footage remotely. If an intruder were to access my keyboard, he/she would have immediate access to my computer, but not if I could leave it in a screen lock condition. I'm not very tech minded and don't want to lock myself out of my screen / computer.

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 8:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 4, 2022 8:40 AM

That is a login screen. You powered down your Mac, so you have to login. Also booting up the Mac, and logging in, takes much longer than just unlocking the Lock Screen to get back to work.

A Lock Screen is associated with the screen saver or sleeping your Mac. You use a Lock Screen when you are fully logged in, with your apps running. The Lock Screen just protects your system from others accessing your data while you are away from your Mac.

The Lock Screen just wants your user password, the same as logging in wants. There is nothing to fear about the Lock Screen.

You can automatically enable the Lock Screen from System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General (tab)

[X] Require password ... after sleep or screen saver begins.

Using the Apple Menu -> Lock Screen just enables the Lock Screen on demand, as would putting your Mac to sleep, or starting the screen saver (see: Hot Corners).

The Lock Screens sounds like exactly what you want for your IP Camera

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 4, 2022 8:40 AM in response to Ken W

That is a login screen. You powered down your Mac, so you have to login. Also booting up the Mac, and logging in, takes much longer than just unlocking the Lock Screen to get back to work.

A Lock Screen is associated with the screen saver or sleeping your Mac. You use a Lock Screen when you are fully logged in, with your apps running. The Lock Screen just protects your system from others accessing your data while you are away from your Mac.

The Lock Screen just wants your user password, the same as logging in wants. There is nothing to fear about the Lock Screen.

You can automatically enable the Lock Screen from System Preferences -> Security & Privacy -> General (tab)

[X] Require password ... after sleep or screen saver begins.

Using the Apple Menu -> Lock Screen just enables the Lock Screen on demand, as would putting your Mac to sleep, or starting the screen saver (see: Hot Corners).

The Lock Screens sounds like exactly what you want for your IP Camera

Lock Screen. How does it work?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.