You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Mac book air won’t turn on and every time I hold the power button and let go my power cord will go from orange to green but nothing else is working.

My Mac book air won’t turn on and every time I hold the power button and let go my power cord will go from orange to green but nothing else is working.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 5, 2022 9:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 11:50 AM

You have some sort of hardware issue with the laptop. If this is a 2017 or earlier MBAir, then the Trackpad Flex Cable and/or the Trackpad itself may be bad/damaged (very common for liquid to damage the connectors on these two items because they are located directly beneath the gap of the Trackpad and Keyboard). Examine the Trackpad Cable and Trackpad Connector for signs of corrosion or scorch marks (trackpad side). Usually if there is any corrosion or scorch marks both parts will need to be replaced.

Regardless of the ultimate source some sensor may not be working or seen, or there may be some power related issue somewhere which will cause the laptop to run at idle speeds of 800MHz even when under full CPU load. The Trackpad does have a temp sensor as does the battery and each of the other internal components. Anything could be causing a power issue even an external device.

I don't recall specifics regarding the 2018+ MBAirs.

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

You can have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 6, 2022 11:50 AM in response to Jbennett12

You have some sort of hardware issue with the laptop. If this is a 2017 or earlier MBAir, then the Trackpad Flex Cable and/or the Trackpad itself may be bad/damaged (very common for liquid to damage the connectors on these two items because they are located directly beneath the gap of the Trackpad and Keyboard). Examine the Trackpad Cable and Trackpad Connector for signs of corrosion or scorch marks (trackpad side). Usually if there is any corrosion or scorch marks both parts will need to be replaced.

Regardless of the ultimate source some sensor may not be working or seen, or there may be some power related issue somewhere which will cause the laptop to run at idle speeds of 800MHz even when under full CPU load. The Trackpad does have a temp sensor as does the battery and each of the other internal components. Anything could be causing a power issue even an external device.

I don't recall specifics regarding the 2018+ MBAirs.

You can try running the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

You can have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop.

Feb 5, 2022 5:57 PM in response to Jbennett12

Try an SMC Reset.

Try unplugging the charger from the electrical outlet for a minute to reset the charger's internal circuitry.

Here is an Apple article for troubleshooting Magsafe charging issues:

If your MagSafe cable or power adapter isn't working - Apple Support

My guess is the battery was left to drain to 0% or the battery is bad. You can have Apple or an Apple Authorized Service Provider examine the laptop to verify and provide you with a repair estimate.

Feb 6, 2022 5:18 AM in response to HWTech

So I found out yesterday the trac pad is going bad and is for some reason causing the computer to do this. We had to disconnect the battery drain down power and then start over and was sable to get it to go. Now the issue is latency with the computer booting and using apps. We just did the recent update and everything seems to have gone wrong sense this.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.