You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apps won't delete.

Hi,

I am clearing up my Macbook Pro 2018. And I am trying to delete apps that I don't want on my macbook.

The Apps I downloaded I can delete. But the apps like Chess, Numbers, font Book, time machine etc, won't delete... The application folder doesn't work in deleting those. And holding the option keys neither. I don't want those apps on my macbook. If I want to play Chess I use my chess board...

Hear from you how to delete them,

Lucasdereus

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 2:18 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 6, 2022 5:03 PM

AFAIK, you can no longer uninstall the default apps included with macOS since those apps are installed to the read-only system volume beginning with macOS 10.15+.

About the read-only system volume in macOS Catalina - Apple Support

6 replies

Feb 6, 2022 9:34 PM in response to Lucasdereus

Lucasdereus Said:

"Thanks for reply The Littles. let’s make this into a discussion with Apple. I simply don’t want those apps. it Occupies my storage and reduces my productivity as I’m applying LEAN management to all my activities I do."

-------

Look Into This More:

Performing this takes some research and experience. So, I'd recommend you not really fiddle with the filesystem, if your experience in Virtual Machine usage is comparable enough to mine. However, I do recommend you discuss this on VMware Fusion's forums: VMware - Communities.

Provide Apple Feedback:

I gave my feedback --you can go the same.

Do Your Part: Provide Apple feedback on this. They won't get back to you directly, but the more they hear of an issue, then the more they'll know what to look for and what needs to be fixed.

1. Go Here: Feedback - macOS - Apple
  2. Select: "Feature Request" for the "Feedback Type"
  3. Select: "Desktop/FinderFilesystem" for the "Feedback Area"
  4. Comment: That you want this to be an option, and why
  5. Proceed from there as necessary

Learn About Virtual Machines:

As for a Virtual Machine, Parallels is not compatible with the M1 processor. From what I've read on these forums, rumor has it, Parallels and Microsoft together are worthing with Apple to get this to work. All would be accessed and would operate as desired on the VM. Virtual Machine applications include VMWare Fusion and ParallelsLearn more here: What Is a Virtual Machine? - VMWare Support.

Feb 6, 2022 5:19 PM in response to Lucasdereus

Lucasdereus Said:

"Apps won't delete.: Hi, I am clearing up my Macbook Pro 2018. And I am trying to delete apps that I don't want on my macbook. The Apps I downloaded I can delete. But the apps like Chess, Numbers, font Book, time machine etc, won't delete...[...]"

-------

Use FTP on a Virtual Machine:

In the past, you had to do was just disable SIP. In Catalina, you had to perform this while in the Root User. Since Big Sur, there is no workaround, other than using a Virtual Machine and enabling FTP on it.

Feb 6, 2022 8:59 PM in response to HWTech

thanks for the answer. Then let’s make this into a discussion with Apple. I simply don’t want those apps. it Occupies my storage and reduces my productivity as I’m applying LEAN management to all my activities I do.

@Apple. I paid 1500 for a macbook where I cannot delete apps I don’t want. Please give me an update. I want this to be fixed

luc

Feb 6, 2022 9:02 PM in response to TheLittles

Thanks for reply The Littles. let’s make this into a discussion with Apple. I simply don’t want those apps. it Occupies my storage and reduces my productivity as I’m applying LEAN management to all my activities I do.

@Apple. I paid 1500 for a macbook where I cannot delete apps I don’t want. I want this to be fixed.

if the virtual machine is the only way to go to then I need some help. When it comes down to the computerworld, I live on ‘the world’ not at ‘Jupiter’. That language already dazzles me hahaha

Apps won't delete.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.