You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I have changed from a MacBook Air to a new Macbook Air and want to use my existing external hard drive to continue backing up my new computer from where the old one left off. Will the back up continue or will it wipe the existing data?

I have changed from a MacBook Air to a new Macbook Air and want to use my existing external hard drive to continue backing up my new computer from where the old one left off. Will the back up continue or will it wipe the existing data?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 1:09 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 3:30 AM

Will the back up continue

It can, yes. Apple describes this in If your new Mac inherits your backup history

You can select this option after your new Mac has finished being set up, or (from memory) the next time your insert your Time Machine external disc for a backup. Note though that if you do this the backups cannot be used again for the old Mac.

In practice though I've found that the continuity of backups sometimes fails. My policy is to buy a new external drive and start again in my new system, retaining the old disc for a short time. This also gives the new disc a longer life, compared with the old one which no doubt has seen some heavy-duty use over the previous few years.

Your new Mac will have a USB-C port and your old USB cable might not be USB-C, so this would be a good time to switch to a new drive with a USB-C cable, rather than invest a fair whack of money for a connector which might be put to better use in funding a new drive with a USB-C cable

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 7, 2022 3:30 AM in response to Moira43

Will the back up continue

It can, yes. Apple describes this in If your new Mac inherits your backup history

You can select this option after your new Mac has finished being set up, or (from memory) the next time your insert your Time Machine external disc for a backup. Note though that if you do this the backups cannot be used again for the old Mac.

In practice though I've found that the continuity of backups sometimes fails. My policy is to buy a new external drive and start again in my new system, retaining the old disc for a short time. This also gives the new disc a longer life, compared with the old one which no doubt has seen some heavy-duty use over the previous few years.

Your new Mac will have a USB-C port and your old USB cable might not be USB-C, so this would be a good time to switch to a new drive with a USB-C cable, rather than invest a fair whack of money for a connector which might be put to better use in funding a new drive with a USB-C cable

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.