You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External display not showing (Monterey 12.1)

I have tried to connect my external monitor to my new Macbook Pro using the various tips on Apple's site and the general Web, i.e. restart, sleep, update all software. One strange thing is that the Displays in System Preferences refuses to show me the Detect Monitors button despite holding down the option key. The monitor and the cable are fine because they work on my older Macbook Pro.

Any ideas?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 1:44 AM

Similar questions

7 replies

Feb 8, 2022 7:18 AM in response to stuburgess

Hey there, stuburgess!

From your post, it sounds like you are working on connecting an external display to your MacBook Pro. We’re glad that you reached out to the Apple Support Communities. We want to try and help get you pointed in the right direction.

To start, are you following these steps when you attempt to connect the MacBook Pro to the external display: Use an external display with your MacBook Pro. If not, please start there.

Also, this link provides helpful details, such as information about how many displays you can connect to your Mac and what it requires for you to connect the display to your Mac: Connect a display to your Mac.

We hope this information helps you out.

Take care!

External display not showing (Monterey 12.1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.