You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

usb superdrive is not working with latest software update

My USB superdrive will play a cd or Movie on my daughters non-updated mac, but my fully updated mac (Monterey) cannot play a cd or movie in the same superdrive. What is the problem and is there a fix?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 7:25 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 7, 2022 9:30 PM

winston54 Said:

"usb superdrive is not working with latest software update: My USB superdrive will play a cd or Movie on my daughters non-updated mac, but my fully updated mac (Monterey) cannot play a cd or movie in the same superdrive. What is the problem and is there a fix?"

-------

Confirm Compatibility:

Two Steps:

I. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

II. Click on Compatibility at this Link: Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 7, 2022 9:30 PM in response to winston54

winston54 Said:

"usb superdrive is not working with latest software update: My USB superdrive will play a cd or Movie on my daughters non-updated mac, but my fully updated mac (Monterey) cannot play a cd or movie in the same superdrive. What is the problem and is there a fix?"

-------

Confirm Compatibility:

Two Steps:

I. Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

II. Click on Compatibility at this Link: Apple USB SuperDrive - Apple

Feb 17, 2022 9:01 AM in response to winston54

Hi winston54

I have had occasional problems with SuperDrive and macOS since Catalina, possibly even earlier, where the OS seems to think the SuperDrive has a non-readable disk loaded and it gets stuck like this no matter how many times the Mac is restarted normally.

This occurs across several Macs that we use in our office so it seems a more generic thing rather than specific to one machine.

The usual solution is to boot the Mac into Safe-Mode just one time which seems to clear out whatever bit of information the Mac was holding on to and causing the SuperDrive to not be able to see a new disk inserted.

The other thought that occurred as I was writing this reply is that maybe your own Mac is licence coded for a different DVD region than the disks you are trying to read, and that might be the reason that it will not open the same disks that your daughters MacBook can read.

Try carrying out a Safe-Mode boot one time anyway to eliminate that possibility.

There is no need to do anything during a Safe-Mode boot, just start the Mac in Safe-Mode as described in the linked document below, after the mac boots to the normal desktop view leave the Mac alone for another ten minutes and then restart the Mac normally.

A Safe-Mode boot takes a long time and the Mac will behave very sluggishly while in Safe-Mode, mouse and keyboard will lag behind your inputs, this is normal.

Once rebooted in Normal-Mode after a restart everything will respond at normal speed again and perhaps the SuperDrive will be able to read your disks again.

How to use safe mode on your Mac – Apple Support (UK)

HTH

Will.

usb superdrive is not working with latest software update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.