You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview highlights disappear

the highlights i made (and i made many) in a pdf yesterday are suddenly (most of them) gone today. i tried reverting but the versions where all highlights don't even exist, only versions with the few highlights that still remained. I'm mostly afraid this will keep happening cause I use preview for my studies and all my hours of work on that pdf is kind of lost. this issue was taken up august last year but maybe it hasn't been fixed by apple - anyone else with this problem? info: macos Monterey 12.2, MacBook pro m1 2020

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.2

Posted on Feb 8, 2022 10:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 9, 2022 3:45 AM

I have the same problem on Monterey 12.2.1, MacBook Air and this is ridiculous, I lost 99% of my highlights in my pdf and I have to redo everything. Apple needs to fix this.

Similar questions

5 replies

Feb 8, 2022 11:25 AM in response to heythereguy

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

Feb 8, 2022 11:21 AM in response to heythereguy

In all the years that I have been using Apple's Preview, I have never lost any annotations that I placed on PDFs.

I work on the boot drive filesystem, or iCloud Drive, but not on any third-party cloud service, mounted USB device, or share from a server. I don't attempt to rename or duplicate the PDF from within Preview, and depend on the autosave feature to update the PDF as I make the annotations (which one can see updated in the Finder Icon view of the PDF).

And to be current, none of the Preview annotations, including highlights, have been lost in macOS 12.2.

Preview highlights disappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.