You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

M1 MacBook Pro issues

Hi all

My two-month old MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) with M1 Pro chip, 16GB Memory and 1TB SSD has consistently impressed me with its performance (running Monterrey). As a Photographer and Videographer, its render speed has really made a difference.

However, the machine regularly exhibits issues that I've not seen in previous Macs:

• Quicklook stops working altogether, or brings up a thumbnail instead of the usual preview
  • Screenshots hang around in the bottom-right corner of the display, but I can't click on them (not always)
  • Software stops responding and I need to Force Restart (Photoshop, Premiere and others)
  • The Finder stops responding!

I have tried running the software in Intel mode, which sometimes helps. Now, when trying to determine the exact specs for this post, clicking on the Apple (top left) and then About this Mac worked once, but stopped responding now.

This is the most frustrating device I've ever worked with - it requires frequent restarts, many Force Quits and a couple of hard restarts. I lose hours fighting the MacBook every week, despite it costing the price of a small car. Well, not quite, but it certainly isn't cheap trash.

Anyone else seeing this? Or is it just me?

Does my machine need to go back to Apple? Do I need to reinstall the OS (yikes!).

Thanks!

MacBook Pro (2020 and later)

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 3:04 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 11, 2022 4:13 AM

Hi,

Try to check your MacBook Pro with Apple Diagnostics if it reports hardware related error.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, you'd better contact Apple Support or make Genius Bar reservation or take your MacBook Pro to Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Pro there.

Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 11, 2022 4:13 AM in response to Airmatix

Hi,

Try to check your MacBook Pro with Apple Diagnostics if it reports hardware related error.

Use Apple Diagnostics to test your Mac - Apple Support

Apple Diagnostics reference codes - Apple Support

If it doesn't help, you'd better contact Apple Support or make Genius Bar reservation or take your MacBook Pro to Apple Authorized Service Provider to be examined your MacBook Pro there.

Official Apple Support

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Apple - Find Locations - Location Selector

M1 MacBook Pro issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.