You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad disconnects from Sidecar mode after a few seconds.

The iPad reverts to standalone mode within a few seconds of establishing a sidecar session (using a cable). Is this a common problem?

All the troubleshooting steps have been addressed: same AppleID, same network, and cabled connection. Sidecar works just long enough to position my desired app on the display, and reverts to non-Sidecar mode within a few moments later.

iPad (6th gen) WiFi

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 6:26 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 4:27 AM

I'm updating this post in case someone with a similar problem finds it.

I contacted Apple Support. After verifying the conditions listed in the above referenced articles, we signed out of iCloud on the iPad, and then signed back in, re-authenticating as needed.

It's been a day, and the problem hasn't reoccured, so this is probably the fix. Something got out-of-whack, to use a technical term, and reinstantiating the iCloud feature on the iPad seems to have solved it.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 13, 2022 4:27 AM in response to tomwild

I'm updating this post in case someone with a similar problem finds it.

I contacted Apple Support. After verifying the conditions listed in the above referenced articles, we signed out of iCloud on the iPad, and then signed back in, re-authenticating as needed.

It's been a day, and the problem hasn't reoccured, so this is probably the fix. Something got out-of-whack, to use a technical term, and reinstantiating the iCloud feature on the iPad seems to have solved it.

Feb 12, 2022 6:54 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Yes, I first attempted to use it wirelessly, then switched to the cable. This problem has been occurring for weeks. There was an occasion last week in which after several disconnects, it finally started working reliably, at least for the hour I needed it to.

I've had two-factor authentication enabled for a long time, and there is no. managed environment. These are one-owner, personally controlled devices.

Feb 12, 2022 12:08 PM in response to ProustGiulio

I haven't tried swapping out the cable (afaik, I've only got the one USB-C to Lightening cable that was supplied with the iPad).

The problem occurs with Wifi or wired. I timed three trials of wired operation, and it disconnected at 34 seconds, 27 seconds, and 2 minutes 18 seconds. Each disconnect was followed by sleep within a couple of seconds.

Thanks for the sanity-check. Apple support is my next stop.

iPad disconnects from Sidecar mode after a few seconds.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.