You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I put in my Apple ID but it will not accept my password and has not been changes in 2019. How do I unlock my password or change it to access it?

I put in my Apple ID but it will not accept my password when updating macOS Monterey software and it has not been changed since 2019. How do I unlock my existing password or put in a new password?

iMac 24″, macOS 12.1

Posted on Feb 12, 2022 4:01 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 1:56 AM

What were you doing when it asked for APple ID?

When you do something on a Mac it will ask you to enter the username and password for an administrator for the computer.

If you went to the App store to download Monterey you have to be signed into the App store with you Apple ID.

If you need to reset you Apple ID password see:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 13, 2022 1:56 AM in response to moriyasu288

What were you doing when it asked for APple ID?

When you do something on a Mac it will ask you to enter the username and password for an administrator for the computer.

If you went to the App store to download Monterey you have to be signed into the App store with you Apple ID.

If you need to reset you Apple ID password see:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

Feb 13, 2022 3:27 AM in response to moriyasu288

And if what is really meant was the Computer Password which is independent from Apple ID Password

Reset Computer Password  for the Administrator Account Password

Intel Computer

1 - Restart computer and immediately hold Command + r keys

2 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

3 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

4 - Press Return key

5 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

Apple Silicon M1 Computer 

1 - Choose Apple menu > > Shut Down.

2 - Press and hold the power button on your Mac until you see “Loading startup options.”

3 - Click Options, then click Continue. 

4 - Top Tool Bar >> Utilities >> Terminal

5 - Type resetpassword as one word and no spaces

6 - Press Return key

7 - Follow the prompts and remember the New Password

I put in my Apple ID but it will not accept my password and has not been changes in 2019. How do I unlock my password or change it to access it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.