You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I want to airdrop from an iPhone a photo to a nearby MacBook Air. I press the Air Drop icone in the phone, and it says no one nearby. Why?I want to airdrop from an iPhone a photo to a nearby MacBook Air. I press the Air Drop icone in the phone, and i

I want to airdrop from an iPhone a photo to a nearby MacBook Air. I press the Air Drop icon in the phone, and it says no one nearby. How can I overcome the problem? Both devices have bluetooth on, icloud signed in, firewall restriction off, Air Drop in the Mac Book open to every one, OS of the Book is 10.13.6, iOS

of the phone is 15.2.1.

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 1:49 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 13, 2022 2:25 AM

See this Apple articles below: 

How to use AirDrop on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204144

Use AirDrop on your Mac

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT203106

10 replies

Apr 28, 2022 10:31 AM in response to ping245

I have read good answers from the forum however,

Q: I want to airdrop from an iPhone SE to my MacBook Air M1 sitting next to it. I am even connected by USB/lightning wire. I press the Air Drop icon on the phone to send a picture, and it says, "Connection unsuccessful. MacBook Air not supported." So, it's trying but it can't.

• iPhone does not even appear in sidebar of Finder.
  • Bluetooth are on for both, cellular data ON, my contact is in, CONTACTS only set.
  • I do Airdrop all the time on my work MacBook Air so I'm very familiar.
  • Since buying this personal MacBook AirM1, air drop has not worked on my old 8Plus phone and now this one.

Update: Still wired, I turned off the iPhone and I turned it back on. One software update was done immediately on the laptop. I selected all the prompts for the iPhone to TRUST the MacBook and held my breath.

Still, the MacBook Air CAN airdrop to phone, but the phone does not support the MacBook and also says no one nearby.

Please assist

From a devoted appleseed

Mar 30, 2022 4:44 PM in response to ping245

You have to turn on Airdrop also on the ipad also BOTH bluetooth and wifi need to be on. Airdrop does not use cellular data

Pull down from top of screen

( This opens control panels )

Top where air plane mode is - Press and hold

Make sure airdrop receiving is set to everyone ( or contacts ) on both devices

note: when finished transfers . Turn off receiving to OFF

Mar 31, 2022 8:34 AM in response to billwdwc

I found out that my bluetooth had been turned off on my MacBook. That solved the problem for me. I can now airdrop from my phone to the MacBook. Bluetooth has to be on both on the laptop and the phone for air drop to work.

Go to the apple icon at the top left corner of your screen and click it open. Then click on System preferences, find Bluetooth and click on that, then turn it on.

I want to airdrop from an iPhone a photo to a nearby MacBook Air. I press the Air Drop icone in the phone, and it says no one nearby. Why?I want to airdrop from an iPhone a photo to a nearby MacBook Air. I press the Air Drop icone in the phone, and i

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.