You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos will not close, and I cannot shut down my MacBook Air

How can I close photos so that I can shut down my MacBook Air?

MacBook Air

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 9:25 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Feb 14, 2022 10:03 AM

Hi Mary,

Is Photos working on a certain operation that you started (such as importing/exporting photos)? If it is, you might want to wait for that to complete before you continue.

To force quit Photos, choose one of these options:

• Right-click (or hold down Control as you click on) Photos in the dock, then hold down the Option key. Click Force Quit.

• Press Option-Command-Escape, then select Photos from the list and click Force Quit.

IMPORTANT: Don't use a force quit unless absolutely necessary. It is safer to do a normal quit (Command-Q), because it allows the app to save its work before it quits.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Feb 14, 2022 10:03 AM in response to maryfromcazenovia

Hi Mary,

Is Photos working on a certain operation that you started (such as importing/exporting photos)? If it is, you might want to wait for that to complete before you continue.

To force quit Photos, choose one of these options:

• Right-click (or hold down Control as you click on) Photos in the dock, then hold down the Option key. Click Force Quit.

• Press Option-Command-Escape, then select Photos from the list and click Force Quit.

IMPORTANT: Don't use a force quit unless absolutely necessary. It is safer to do a normal quit (Command-Q), because it allows the app to save its work before it quits.

Photos will not close, and I cannot shut down my MacBook Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.